Whats the worst condition harborfreight took your engine back on warranty?

Whats the worst condition harbor freight took your engine back on warranty?

My friend has his engine which hes about to return because when he was just riding it at probably around 3500 rpm, it snapped the rod cap and threw the piston into the valves. Just spins free now. Only had the gov. wire disconnected, the internal gear is intact. It also has no exhaust because we had a header on it and we dont know where the stock one went.

Think they'll take it back?

Whats the worst thats happened to yours?

Valve Cover

I had a crushed valve cover that I had asked to get replaced with a gasket and keep getting told "2 more weeks" which has been since January.

Whats the worst condition harbor freight took your engine back on warranty?

My friend has his engine which hes about to return because when he was just riding it at probably around 3500 rpm, it snapped the rod cap and threw the piston into the valves. Just spins free now. Only had the gov. wire disconnected, the internal gear is intact. It also has no exhaust because we had a header on it and we dont know where the stock one went.

Think they'll take it back?

Whats the worst thats happened to yours?
Some peoples kids.

gbabins1

I bet they'll take it. They didn't even open the box that I returned one in..... could've been a cement block for all they knew. :laugh:

Explained the situation in my first post to the manager who was more than kind enough to help. He said that it was covered under warranty and you could pretty much adjust anything externally and its fine to return. Had to call up a warranty company, explain the problem, they approved it, and that was that.

Some peoples kids.
I dont want to turn this thread sour already but, how can you consider us "some peoples kids" with absolutely no context at all to go with, except the situation about the engine? Being 21 and 22, I don't think we'd fall into the "some peoples kids" category by age or even behaviorally. We were honest and explained how it happened, what it was used on, and that we removed the gov. spring. Knowing this, the manager said sure no problem. If he had said no, we'd have probably put in stainless valves and a rod because there wasnt any block or head damage besides the valves and the stock rod.. We weren't expecting to throw a rod at 3500. Theres always someone to shoot a negative comment around.

just curious, how do you know you were only at 3500RPM? Why did you guys remove the governor "wire", knowing the ramifications of doing so with stock internal components? Lik I said, just curious? To me that sounds "behaviorally" related to say the least.

figured "about 3500" with a speed calc. using tire size, gearing, and the bike had a speedometer w/ max speed save. Punching the info in by altering the rpm to match your speed gives an rpm to guess by. Its by no means accurate, just an approximation.

The bike was pulsing upon acceleration w/ the gov so he pulled the spring. not looking to go faster.

edit* and having it throw around such close proximity to stock speeds is why he considered the return and asked the manager.

Last edited:
You modified the motor by disabling the governor and whether or not the manager took it back is not the issue. The issue comes in when you should have even thought about returning it. It comes down to morals.

just buy another one for $100 they're throwaways....unless you pretty much gut the whole thing and upgrade the internals ....some people swear by them.

the parts inside are covered but you altered the factory state which should void the warranty. whether or not you did it for speed. you might get away with it.

you had to be revving pretty high.

i have a stock honda 5 horse thats 25 years old and i bet i hit around 4-5k occasionally. i know im risking it but this motor takes a serious beating from me in mud, dirt, water, hills, logs, pavement, heat, cold you name it. it hasnt failed, and when it does im lucky to have some extra blocks to build.

when you or your friend get a new motor READ the manual.
run a few tanks of gas through it and get it broken in before you nail it all the way down the road at full speed. then change the oil.

some people dont do this or believe that its not necessary. i think theyre crazy its just me.

enjoy:scooter:

im not saying neither of you read the manual, its just you never know. im used to going over the very basics of some mechanical things because some MY friends are hard headed.

Last edited:
Let the kids ride our mini and it got thrown down on the right side and broke the foot peg clean off and the engine was cheese grated smashed. The pull start was crushed. NNo one was hurt but the mini. Harbor frieght took it back no questions asked. Not even a peek into the box.

I asked this specfically to the manager whowas tring to sell me the warranty. She said bring it back no matter how bad it was. I told her i was going to put nitrous on it... she said she didnt care... i said ill take that warranty:wink: