Where is everyone getting these mini bike projects?!

I joined this forum about a week ago and keep seeing all these awesome bikes that people are picking up for great prices and they look sweet and original. I check craigslist everyday and can't find anything! Do i just need to be patient or is there another site where you guys are finding all these sweet bikes.

Valocalrep

Its mainly a waiting game but check criagslist for areas around you within a decent drive and also check the classified section here.

TomH

I joined this forum about a week ago and keep seeing all these awesome bikes that people are picking up for great prices and they look sweet and original. I check craigslist everyday and can't find anything! Do i just need to be patient or is there another site where you guys are finding all these sweet bikes.
You are in a good area where there are plenty of bikes for sale, especially if you don't mind driving a few miles. Most of the time this isn't an instant gratification thing. Look around in the picture area for ideas, and take the time too define what kind of bike you want and where you are going to ride it. Some restore them and use them for show pieces, some make riders out of them, some go real fast on and on. Good luck and most of all have fun with it, after all it is just a hobby.:thumbsup:

You are in a good area where there are plenty of bikes for sale, especially if you don't mind driving a few miles. Most of the time this isn't an instant gratification thing. Look around in the picture area for ideas, and take the time too define what kind of bike you want and where you are going to ride it. Some restore them and use them for show pieces, some make riders out of them, some go real fast on and on. Good luck and most of all have fun with it, after all it is just a hobby.:thumbsup:

I really want to get into mini bikes but the only problem is I have a small budget and the ones i find in the for sale section here are pretty expensive.

I really want to get into mini bikes but the only problem is I have a small budget and the ones i find in the for sale section here are pretty expensive.
Local garage sales..flea markets...swap meets..word of mouth. Start asking people you know. Most the stuff I buy is through someone knowing I fix them and collect them. Most just wanna get rid of them and never charge much. Or some people basically live on Craigslist in this area and snag them all up.

TomH

yeah what Cheezy said, you got to beat the bushes if you want a deal usually. If a lowball turns up on a CL, you had better have money and be heading that way pretty quick. There is a demand for certain bikes.

Oh ya..like Tom said..it is very important you have to have the money and not tell the person I will be there in a day or can I get it this weekend. If its a deal..pounce...or someone else will. And mainly...tons of PATIENCE!:thumbsup:

All great advice. I just picked this up 2 days ago near Altoona PA (your Avatar says your in Pittsburgh) and I live in NY. Here is how she was advertised on CL:

View attachment 46476

....and here is what it looked like an hour after I got it home with a liltte help from a fast acting paint stripper....EL Tigre by Foremost sold by JC Penneys. Only made in chrome.......so I removed her UGLY Baby Blue nightgown to reveal some OK Chrome.

View attachment 46474 View attachment 46475

Good luck to ya. There out there to be had.

Last edited:
I find that a lot of CL deals pop up during the week. The ones on fri afternoon and sat morning are looking to make money, not a deal.

Then again, the doodle I picked up yesterday at 5 showed on CL Sat morning.

i passed on one today for 80$ had go-power wheels and a 5hp briggs . Id like to find one that i can make street legal without a hastle. otherwise i only buy if i can make money on it :laugh:

All great advice. I just picked this up 2 days ago near Altoona PA (your Avatar says your in Pittsburgh) and I live in NY. Here is how she was advertised on CL:

View attachment 46476

....and here is what it looked like an hour after I got it home with a liltte help from a fast acting paint stripper....EL Tigre by Foremost sold by JC Penneys. Only made in chrome.......so I removed her UGLY Baby Blue nightgown to reveal some OK Chrome.

View attachment 46474 View attachment 46475

Good luck to ya. There out there to be had.

I recognize this bike, I think what i learned from your pics is too look past the looks... my first reaction when seeing that bike a month ago was, dang that thing is sooo ugly... you did a good job with the repaint.

And thanks to everyone else for the advice as well

buckeye

I just did a cl search for Pittsburg.
There are no less than 10,I found that are anything I would buy in a second.
Tote Gote,Rupp,and several others.

I just did a cl search for Pittsburg.
There are no less than 10,I found that are anything I would buy in a second.
Tote Gote,Rupp,and several others.
The gote is 350$ in Bridgeville if i am correct, the Rupp is the black and orange one in Bridgeville with nothing originial i believe, what are the others? Thanks for the help