Where to find aftermarket cams for the HS50

Hello all, im in the process of restoring my ruttman grasshopper and my good friend has given me an older complete HS50 for free! ive been looking all over and searching for anything aftermarket for Tecumseh's and I cant find anything solid. What im looking for is a high torque cam and supporting valve train for my build. Is there a go to aftermarket site or anything for this motor? all my searches come up dead ended. There seems to be no straight answers and I almost didn't want to ask just because I figured this is a frequently asked question. Any help would be gladly appreciated!!!!

old-timer

Scamming Member
Nothing really for the Tec flat heads. There was a guy who was making aftermarket parts for them, but I don't know if he's still doing it. It's been brought up here before and maybe someone will see your post and chime in with more info for you :shrug:

I never could figure out why they made tons of high performance parts for the Briggs, but not for the Tecumseh.

I had Tim Isky grind a cam for me for my hs50 It was a torque grind I can get the timing chart for it if you like. He welded up and ground my cam I sent him as I wanted the base circle of the cam to be the same or a few thousandth larger so I would be able to use the same intake valve. It was a newer hs50 with the small exhaust which I replaced with a older larger one. There is also a billet rod available from ARC.
There is a old thread on HS50 on here you can search for.

Cool! thanks for the replies! id really love to build a sleeper all white hs50 for the hopper, however I feel I might go the easy way out and build me a briggs I/C but do it all up in white and oldschool round tin. But ive always had the itch to do a Tecumseh just because its the lesser traveled route. It sucks theres barely and off the shelf racing parts avail for em. Just took off the head on my hs50 that was "junked" and it still has crosshatches on the cylinder. previous owner had a leaky float so it was considered junk and replaced with a predator 212cc. 5 dollar fix or a new $120 motor? which is cheaper?

old-timer

Scamming Member
Well being a flat head guy myself, I'd say stick with a flatty but I hear what your saying.
Its hard to pass up a Predator because of the price, but if you want to keep it old school :shrug: I'd maybe think about building up a Briggs only because parts are easier to come by.

Personally, I hate seeing Predators on a vintage mini bike, but also understand why some choose to do it. Only you can decide which route to go and your budget :shrug:

Right on old timer! I understand performance is easy and better with a predator, but im going restore this grasshopper right, its going to get powdercoated and all chrome re chromed, and any NOS parts or correct parts I can find. Once I can get me a good camera I will probably start a build log for it along with my pac mule/wildcat build! I think that the newer ohv engines sometimes just don't clash with certain oldschool frames.

old-timer

Scamming Member
Right on old timer! I understand performance is easy and better with a predator, but im going restore this grasshopper right, its going to get powdercoated and all chrome re chromed, and any NOS parts or correct parts I can find. Once I can get me a good camera I will probably start a build log for it along with my pac mule/wildcat build! I think that the newer ohv engines sometimes just don't clash with certain oldschool frames.
That's how I feel too. They just don't look right to me and kind of take away the vintage look. Def like to see some pics, and you def should start a build thread :thumbsup: If you decide to build a flatty, there is a wealth of info here, and plenty of people to guide you along should you need it.

Vic

As far as my HS50 goes ive got it down to the bare block... Im pretty much going to hone the cylinder and re ring it. im going to just warm the block over and clean up the castings in the ports and I might relieve the top of the block by the valves like the pic ole4 posted. re lap the valves, remove the guv'nor (ello!). Then I plan to build a straight pipe and rig up a 22mm Mikuni. Ive started to polish the combustion side of the cylinder head but I might just deck it to gain a lil bit compression. but that's all I can really do for this guy at them moment! as soon as I can get a camera I will gladly post some pics!