Where's Mickey Rupp

He turned down offer of 20 million for the company, Then in 72 when the economy started to have its problems and they had a bad year. The banks forced him to selling the company off and into the hands of Joe H.
I think they might still be around or a least in the snowmobile market, If the banks would of stepped up work with the company and Mick remain the owner of it. Got love the way our country has treated the small business owners in this country.

He turned down offer of 20 million for the company, Then in 72 when the economy started to have its problems and they had a bad year. The banks forced him to selling the company off and into the hands of Joe H.
I think they might still be around or a least in the snowmobile market, If the banks would of stepped up work with the company and Mick remain the owner of it. Got love the way our country has treated the small business owners in this country.
20 million is no small business.

From what I've heard about Rupp, he's a nice enough guy but is reluctant to talk or reminisce about the mini-bike/ go kart years...maybe the 20 mil offer still haunts him. They literally beg him to show up at the vintage kart shows and re-unions and he rarely obliges.

20 million is no small business.
He started out as a small business and sounds like he ran it that way up to the sale of it.
He didn't have manufacturing plants all over the country building Rupp's, Just one shop in Mansfield,Ohio build fun toys and hiring local people to work for him. He was no Corporate giant, Like some many company's now a days.

Great story, thank you for posting! Every rupp owner should read it, and know the history! Its pretty amazing what he accomplished. I dont think it possible to achieve that anymore in this country.

50 views and nobody thought this was interesting article.:shrug:
I had my first Rupp when I was 11 years old. A 1970 Rupp Roadster. I can tell you that it was one of the greatest feelings of freedom to ride everyday.

I was always interested in the Rupp story. Back in the 70's Rupps were the best.

Years later I restored a Rupp SS-5. I had it for sale on EBAY and had no takers.

I later received an e-mail with a phone number. It was Mickey Rupp. He ended up buying the bike from me. After he received the bike he called me and told me that it was a prototype bike he and his R&D guy worked on together. He was thrilled to get. I should have know something was up. This bike was heavily modified to go fast. Shaved head, turned flywheel, Del Orto carb, etc.
It was hard to get running but once it did it was scary.

Last I heard Mickey Rupp was enjoying retirement in Florida. His family is in the marine industry selling outriggers and such. Quality Sportfishing Hardware Since 1980 - Rupp Marine

I still have the t-shirt he sent me. I will always have many fond memories of owning, riding, repairing Rupp minibikes and snowmobiles.

i thought it was interesting, he sounds like he cared about his employees and the powersport industry/hobby he helpped form. too bad he wont make minis amd karts again tho. and as far as i know no one in the good ol us of a is mass producing minis. manco is now american sportworks. they combined with a company called bristers who makes go karts and utvs.