Which do you prefer? Old style DB or new?

Dubs

Found another DB on craigslist for $200. Haven't bought it yet, but I went to look at it... its mint. The guy's grandson drove it 2-3 times and its been sitting for the last two years. Every sticker is on it... no scratch on it. However, its the newer style DB.

$200 seems 'fair' ... but perhaps not 'a steal'

So my question is: Which style DB is generally preferred?

I like the old ones , more room in engine compartment for one thing , but to each his own and 200 is ok but no steal , depends on what it's for ? To give a youngster his first and want it to look like new than I would say buy it !

Either one is great, I have both. I think engine on new style runs a little better. Old style will take larger engine easier. Triple tree on new style is a little better. Just my opinions. Cheers :smile:

WrenchDad

I havent had either old or new DB's so I wont comment on that. However as a dad looking for a good deal on a mini I would snag a "like new bike" for $200. Bottom line is you cant buy a new mini for $200 So If it trully is "like new" then It's a Good Deal.

Neither...You will end up tossing the motor in the trash if its a newer one though. I have had a few of both and put almost every engine combo on them. And if this is for yourself..you will wanna lose those front forks also. So basically you will be spending a lot of dough to make it better. Might as well save and get a cool vintage one. Just my opinion :shrug:

Have the seller start it. If it runs smoothly, buy it, but try to knock out it down some. If it has an issue beat him down a lot.

New style has rearward facing bars. Old style lean forward. Gives you more room. New style wheels easier because of the bars making you sit more rearward. I like the front axle mount better on the new style. New style looks sleeker. New style foot pegs are rubber coated and fold up to stay out of the way. Old style are more aggressive looking, they are spring loaded but always snap back in deployed position

Have the seller start it. If it runs smoothly, buy it, but try to knock out it down some. If it has an issue beat him down a lot.

New style has rearward facing bars. Old style lean forward. Gives you more room. New style wheels easier because of the bars making you sit more rearward. I like the front axle mount better on the new style. New style looks sleeker. New style foot pegs are rubber coated and fold up to stay out of the way. Old style are more aggressive looking, they are spring loaded but always snap back in deployed position
looked at the new one versus the old style..then got two old styles to build up.
new style is wayy too small " feeling " for adults.
everything that Cam says above is spot on.:thumbsup:

Edit: also Cheezy makes an excellent point the front end was the 2cnd thing i changed on mine...solid/rigid front ends dont really handle the trails bumps all that well.
i did the cheap-n-easy and swapped an artic cat fork on.

ps,here in nys,minis are averaging around 100-300 depending on the various makes.
plenty of dead horses out there in craigslist/projects and trades as well.

Last edited:
I have a new style DB, mad I like it. However, I do prefer the look of the old style better. I did move my handlebars forward with a conduit bender. It's much better.
I am still looking for a deal on an older style doodle. I agree that the 97cc motor is terribly under powered, but I am in the process of putting it on an old '73 Bird frame. I want to make it a good running motor, and I think it can do it. I would trade my vintage Bird for an older DB any day. I like the vintage stuff, but parts are harder to find, and they are more expensive.

Dubs

I pulled the trigger. Why not! It was basically brand new - started right up. He still had the receipt, manual, tool bag, etc.

3 weeks ago I hadn't ever ridden a minibike. Today I have two in my garage.

I bought this one about a week ago, rides ok ..but the little engine has 0 power. I'll be doing a engine swap soon ! :grind::hammer:

Old style is my choice, the new ones can fit a Predator but not a 6' 215# man like the old ones can. I can ride a new style DB but it's cramped and with a lot of power that's not good. I still have 2 old style DBs both with 3.5hp briggs engines, they actually are my kid's bikes. I sold my 6.5 powered DB and have been looking for another $50-100 roller to build another one, I plan to use Motovox forks and use a modded engine this time.

Found an old style on CL today for $100 and couldn't pass it up. So ... I now have the ability to take a picture of them 'side by side' ... kind of. I couldn't get a great shot of them in the same position as the kick stands are on opposite sides, and I was feeling lazy so didn't prop them up.

Now having both, I definitely prefer the old style. Feels bigger, sits higher, and looks more vintage with the metal fenders and such.

I haven't spent any time with my new-old style DB, but I notice that when you turn the handlebars, the only stop is the frame itself... is that right?

Hope to have some time over the next week or so to give the new DB some TLC.

Just got my first mini bike for $200 on craigslist almost brand new. The newer version. Took all the ugly stickers off. 3 days later I went and bought a pressure washer for $100 with a nice 5hp honda and threw it on. Mini bike now goes 40 mph. I need some ideas on paint and just other mods to make it look nicer and have more power.

Last edited: