which is your favorite old school flat head

oldfatguy

which one do you like better guys, Briggs or Tecumseh ? Back in the day a Briggs was more durable and reliable but a good running Tecumseh could easily out perform and out run a Briggs. We are talking factory stock bikes here.

Mac

Briggs is always easier to get running.
More mini's seemed to originally have Tecumseh's though.
I'll pass on originality and go for ease of maintenance.

I like 'em all, but Briggs is my favorite. They work right, they look right. I just bought this nifty 1960 2hp model from another board member. I'm particularly fond of the stamped logo on the recoil cover.

oldfatguy

I always liked the Tecumseh but the carbs are junk, they are a challenge to get running good.A 3hp Briggs can't compete with a Tecumseh speed wise, but that old Briggs will always start and run no matter how worn out it is. You are right, most of the original minibikes had Tecumseh's but some had Briggs engines too. My favorite engines now is a early 60s Briggs with the updraft carbs and oil bath air cleaners. I just bought one made in 1958 that hasn't run in years, after cleaning the points,carb and gas tank it fired up for the first time in years. almost on the first pull. But the hs40 i'm working on is giving me a hard time,tomorrow I will try the third carb on it and see it that helps it run any better.

I like Tecumseh engines, They fit better on most minibikes.
A tecumseh is a great engine if you maitain it, if I am gonna leave one sitting I will get some stabil and run the tank dry still. The fuel left in the bowl will then not go foul or gum up while it sits, the carbs are tempermental! Briggs are more forgiving but will not fit in all my minibikes.

Mac

Briggs are more forgiving but will not fit in all my minibikes.
There are few limits where minibikes are concerned.
Anything can be adapted( as long as there are no "purists" in the vicinity).
Check out a previously "Tecumseh only" Rupp frame adapted for a 5hp Briggs:

:hack:

I like my custom carb set up for Tecumseh engines, I have ran it for a year now on my Hustler with no problems and it starts easily every time. Thats how I,m going to do all my Tecumseh.

...My favorite engines now is a early 60s Briggs with the updraft carbs and oil bath air cleaners. I just bought one made in 1958 that hasn't run in years, after cleaning the points,carb and gas tank it fired up for the first time in years. almost on the first pull...
'58 is really early 60s. :laugh: Great story. Post a photo, please.

oldfatguy

minibikedude, what carb did you use ? I like it, great idea and look nice the way you have it set up. The biggest problem with tecumseh is the carb not working.

I Like Kohlers a lil heavy but indestructable.
Those are nice but parts are a rip off!

I had tecumseh and Briggs and Briggs didnt give me crap on start up but tecumseh did!

Tecumseh always ran nice to me at least, nicer than briggs but briggs had balls of steel for durability and tecumseh would give me headaches like you guys are saying with the carbs they did suck and I always like briggs better because of that!

Not gonna lie these honda clones havent let me down yet! but hey who knows!:hammer:

minibikedude, what carb did you use ? I like it, great idea and look nice the way you have it set up. The biggest problem with tecumseh is the carb not working.
20mm Kiehin clone carburetor that I got from DRATV.com for 25 bucks. I am running a 80-85 main jet, I forgot which ones in it right know.You have to adjust for your altitude in you area. Stock idle jet and it works perfect.The intake I made. 7/8 steel tubing and made the flanges.

I always liked the Tecumseh but the carbs are junk, they are a challenge to get running good.A 3hp Briggs can't compete with a Tecumseh speed wise, but that old Briggs will always start and run no matter how worn out it is. You are right, most of the original minibikes had Tecumseh's but some had Briggs engines too. My favorite engines now is a early 60s Briggs with the updraft carbs and oil bath air cleaners. I just bought one made in 1958 that hasn't run in years, after cleaning the points,carb and gas tank it fired up for the first time in years. almost on the first pull. But the hs40 i'm working on is giving me a hard time,tomorrow I will try the third carb on it and see it that helps it run any better.

Box up all of those (junk carbs) and ship them my way.. Tecumseh carbs are all that I will run because they are some of the best ones out there. :scooter: A tecumseh carb on a briggs equals go like hell.. :scooter: The briggs carbs start and run but have the performance value field stone. They are good for rototillers and lawn mowers but thats about it. The updraft (flowjet) carbs run good because they have two fuel settings. The Tecumseh carbs start and run easy but run like a son-of-a-bitch..

Originally Posted by The Restore Kid a The Tecumseh carbs start and run easy but run like a son-of-a-bitch..[/QUOTE said:
I have to agree with TRK my buddy gave me a snowblower with a HS50 sitting on to of it - it sat outside the polebarn for about 5 or 6 years - after changing the oil resetting the points and $14 carb rebuild kit it now runs great --

At the moment I am liking my B/S Raptor motor, just cause parts are so easy to find.

My HS50 has been a PIA to get what I need for it.

I think the old Tec's look better IMO