Who would be screwed by an unexpected $10k bill?

This thread popped up on another board I go on. Results were interesting.

For me, I can deal with a $10k bill and it's not a big deal at all. Let the dick swingin' commence...

edit: Not a big deal, but I wouldn't be happy about it. Rather spend that on fun stuff.

Last edited:

Itype2slo

Many years ago as a contractor I had to go self employed and had to make tax payments on a quarterly basis. My wife at the time didn't' take notice and I got a 10k bill. Turns out the IRS had a bigger one than me. Good luck.

catfishman

I would be, I remember sweating it 2 years ago when I had 2 house payments, but I priced my house right and sold it in 5 weeks. My old neighbors have had theirs on the market for about 8 months now, they are asking to much, but their other house was free.

I could do it too, but the moths in my wallet would starve and the lightness on my left side would make me walk in circles for a while.

You know what?
I would probably have chest pains for a while just thinking about lol

Seriously I think all of us have suffered a lot of discomfort this decade, nothing much has changed too.
So I hope no one has a nasty surprise this year as my somewhat belated new years wish.

Last edited:
It would be devistating for me unless I put it on my line of credit

Of course I could sell some toys , I have acumulated a lot of stuff over the years - trailers , atv , fishing boat , streetbikes and minibikes etc...... then theres the rc car collection , a few guitars and then tools lol

toomanytoys

I could do it. But it would hurt and id be sweating.

Taking money out of savings in my household has strict rules. Since me and my wife have been married we dipped into it once. And it was for an important event that we needed to expend the cash.

It has happened to me,about 4 times in two years.Totally wiped me out.Health declined with lymphoma cancer.Thats just copays.
Crappy insurance from work payed only 70 percent.Sold my Harley,1974 Jenson Healey,Motor home,and just about everything I owned.

And when they say,At least you have your health.Count your blessings.In remission now,but it will happen again,and again.Every 4 or 5 years

Only reason I bring it up.If your not covered,do something about it.

Are we talking about hard earned money or gifted, lottery or inherited money? Because wealth not earned is much easier to lose than hard earned money is believe me. Mine was hard earned and it would be a set back later on rather than right away since it's invested and to lose those long term earnings by selling stock or cashing in a CD to pay a bill would be counterproductive to my long term plan, for instance I'm looking for a truck for around 5 to 6 grand and can afford it easily but that's straight cash money I've made above and beyond my interest and dividend income and considered spending money and with remodeling projects in my near future it's all I can let go of. I do not finance things, I hate payments. My last loan was a home equity loan to add bedrooms for my kids and it's been paid off for a while now, had the urgency not been there I would have figured out another way without borrowing. My health issues prompted me to set up a trust for my own health care expenses, with those funds set aside long term for co-pays and insurance premiums it made things much easier to face the issues without worrying about losing everything. I hope it all works out because one never knows.

As for those who losing 10k would devastate I encourage good planning if you are young and good hustling if you are not, I certainly wish everyone the best because financial problems can ruin marriages and lives across the board.

I almost said something negative about the thread and the way it was presented but then I considered the source and decided to give my opinions and share my experiences in the hope that someone will take something away from them. The thread could have very well turned into a dick swinging deal but I'm glad to see it went the other way.

I'm not unaware that there are members here who did better in life than I did financially and I'm fine with that because I have beaten odds that seemed impossible, I started out in life with the deck stacked against me in many ways and did well for myself in many ways despite it. It's fine to be boastful but arrogance is just ugly. I'm a simple man for whom comfort and security is fine, fancy shit is for fancy folks.

Some hard facts out there. 62% of Americans have less than $1000 in savings. Our average credit card debt is $7600, and our average household debt total is something over $200K.

It's not difficult to answer the question in the OP on an average basis. Only about 14% of Americans have a savings balance above $10K. The rest would probably refinance, unless they've done so already.