WLB's - Sportsman 300 - (Vintage Open)

WLB

I bought this roller at the Portland, Indiana meet in 2013. I've never come across a suitable flathead engine for it so it has just been sitting gathering dust. My son recently sat a late model Briggs OHV engine in it and thought it could be made to work so I thought it would make a good Build Off project.

There is a story behind each of the stuffed animals. The dog, "Fuzzy," is over 70 years old. It was in the well worn condition in the photo and had been retired to a spot on the toy shelf by the time I had memory. It supposedly was my first toy and my favorite. My mother had sewn the buttons on for eyes after the original ones were lost. I hadn't seen Fuzzy for over 50 years until I was cleaning out the house after my Mother died. She had kept Fuzzy and a couple of my other toys all these years.

When I told my son what the mystery object was he went upstairs and brought down the cat, not knowing that I had intended to use Fuzzy. The cat is 27 years old and came from the Fischer-Price factory when they were still in Murray, Kentucky. It was given to my son by a friend that worked there. He rescued it from the scrap bin. It was supposed to talk but didn't and had been scrapped. Since my son will probably end up helping me some I put his cat in the picture also.

MVC-550F.JPG

WLB

Thanks everyone. I look forward to the fun. I hated missing out last year but knew I'd likely never get one finished.
Angelo, this will be my third bike but not a Mr Goat. Mr Goat title is for any serious trail type bike that I build from scratch.

WLB

Thanks cheezy1 and OND. Time flies. didn't realize it had been that long since I last posted. After 2 1/2 months we finally got the power company to upgrade our electric service to 3 phase and we have been working on getting our CNC mill and turning center operational again. The tank heater for the turning center should be here today and my son can finally get it going. We are a little--to say the least--crowded with the addition of the machines in our old shop but its the best we could do. The cost of a larger building in decent shape in Indy plus the huge increase in property taxes and insurance was more than we could justify for a hobby shop.

I have made a little progress on the bike. I tested the B&S engine and got it mounted using a new Comet driver I had. Also made a new left side footpeg and cut a base for a seat. The jackshaft and wheel bearings were all good so this could be a running rat bike without too much more work.

WLB

I cut and fitted new sheet metal to the top back of the frame and, in my son's words, "made a foamed piece of wood with cloth wrapped crudely around it." He said that after the other seats we had made this one couldn't be called a seat. The kid doesn't cut me any slack at all:laugh::laugh:
Next part of the project is a gas tank. This motor didn't come with a tank. MVC-870F.JPG

WLB

That's creepy. I had the feeling that something was stalking me. :laugh::laugh:

Last week I got a gas tank mounted and fired up the engine. Next part of the project is to make brackets to hold the throttle cable and get it hooked up.

WLB

I got the throttle cable hooked up and bent up an exhaust pipe. The gas tank I had didn't have a cap so my son made me a custom billet cap with my initials on it.

MVC-894F.JPG

WLB

Thanks Angelo.

I wrapped the header and installed it/ Also cut out and bent a piece of expanded metal for torque converter guard.

WLB

Not much work on this one Tom, fine or otherwise. Other than the things listed, its all factory stock. Engine bolted in and lined up, even used the belt that came with the roller. I should of had this one done months ago. I will get some better pictures though.

WLB

I swapped the throttle I had on the bike for a moped unit that has the throttle, brake lever, and kill switch all in one unit. Had to make a new throttle cable and make a brake cable. The bike had a camouflage paint job on it and I decided to just go with that. No time or energy to take it all apart and make it different. Our bikes lead a tough life so they don't stay pretty long.
MVC-900F (3).JPG MVC-896F.JPG MVC-897F.JPG MVC-898F.JPG MVC-899F.JPG

WLB

I received my chain today and cut a piece to fit. The bike is now finished. I'll make a video as soon as it stops raining and the grass dries.