Subaru, Honda or clone?

I need powerplants for at least two mb frames Ihave right now. Also, I am thinking of repowering the go kart I am keeping for my son. I will be refreshing it soon and it has an old 5hp Briggs with a broken recoil. I can get a Robin/Subaru 6hp delivered to my door for $200. However, I keep reading about these clones and they don't sound too bad. Are there mods available for the Subarus as readily as there are for the clones and Hondas. Are hondas worth the extra expense. Also, opinions on the newer B&S and Tecumseh motors. I would appreciate any and all input.
Thanks, Fred

Not much out there for the Subaru engine in the mods area, but there very well built engines.
Tecumseh is out of business know and they can be expensive to get a good flathead motor if someone know what he has.
Clone's have a lot of after market support because there a Honda gx200 copy, go carter's have been using them for a while. It took me a long time to try one because there Chinese but the ones I have run good and cost a hundred bucks new.They do make good power.
The old 5hp Briggs fix it, there worth keeping.

the Subaru engines are good but the aftermarket for them sucks.

when it comes to the Hondas/clones it depends on what you want to do. if you're running a GX200/6.5 that's under 15hp, i'd say stick with the clone. if you want to go higher than that it would be a good idea to consider going with a Honda since the quality is better.

there are a lot of aftermarket parts available for the Honda/clone engines.

I've got a Subaru on my minibike, and a Harbor Freight Clone on a rototiller. My recommendations -

1) If cost is not a concern, AND you have no plans to modify, go with the Subaru.
2) If cost is a concern, or you plan to modify the motor, definitely go with the clone.

OK first post i have a question, is it safe to remove the governor in the subarus?? i mean they have forged rods from the factory, they have timing chain, dual bearing, not too sure on the flywheel but i guess its well made too. Thanks

just to throw my .02$ worth out there.

Honda/Clone over anything else really. MY friends B&S's rod snapped in half on him last week, as far at tecumesh, I dont like em as much really as they seem wimpy to me. and the Subaru engines are sweet little motors. I gotta ride a cart that had one and it was quick. Sadly it was modded with 1 of a kind parts the owner made. So IMO I would go Honda/Clone due to the fact of support and reliability

I posted earlier that I picked up a clone from Harbor Freight for $79 + tax. Internet advertised price, plus a 20% off one item coupon. I posted a pic of the receipt for the doubting thomases.

The guy with the subaru governor question, start a new thread if you haven't already, nobody will find the question buried in another topic.

Ratbike

Hands Down The Best Bang for the Buck!!!

Fred, go with the Honda Blue clone 6,5hp from Harbor Freight. I've owned About 12 of them in the past. Have abused them , over revved them with only stock parts( Not Recommended!). and have no problems whatsoever! Tons of after market parts available. They are extremely strong running motors(also underrated on hp). Unlike their Robin counter parts if you do your homework.:rockon:

The Suburu can be souped up, just not like the Honda/Clone. The hot ticket with the Suburu is the ex21 mtr with a ex17 head. I have a ex17, ported, 3 stage header, gov removed, mikuni 22mm, advanced timing, 18pd springs and it runs good(50 plus. i beat mild champion 6.5's with this motor). In fact I'm selling that motor minus carb(it will have the stock carb though).

Ok I know this is delayed, but when It comes to Subaru aftermarket you only need one man. His name is Grant Goracy of Exotic Toy builder. He has helped develop their kx21 karting engine and has many aftermarket parts for the 6hp subaru along with other model subaru's. He was an amazing help to me with the ex21 on my kart, and he's going to help me stroke the new ex27 I just bought.

125ccCrazy

I just got my kart running, it has a 6.5 EX17 Robin Subaru on it, although a nicely built engine it is gutless, my son's kart with a stock Briggs 5hp flathead will stomp this one... The kart will barely spin the tires in snow... I been playing with different carbs, stock exhaust and a header and just can't seem to get any more power from it.... To be honest I'm pretty disappointed... I'm considering replacing it with a Clone or a Briggs....

Last edited: