Search results

1. M

Can anyone tell how old this Briggs might be.

I just picked up a 5S engine, exact same as yours has the pulley and all. I just dated mine to April 1955. More detailed info on serials here, Briggs & Stratton Manufacturing Date Listing
  2. M

Tecumseh Head on an 8" swing lathe

Definitely seems like it could be done, even though a mill would be the proper way. Why not get something a bit more solid for the chuck than a spark plug? Maybe even do a rough run with a round bit and then clean it up with a finish bit? If only I could use some of the CNCs I work with to do...
  3. M

Honda gx160 misfiring under full load

Hey guys its been a while for me here on OldMiniBikes. Anyways, took the bike out today for a bit. Was running fine and then it just started sputtering/misfiring under full load. It didnt stall and I rode it about a quarter mile back home on maybe 1/3 throttle. I looked at the plug and it was a bit...
  4. M

Back from the dead, A rebuild.

We have a running bike! the story, since the last update I got down to completion and needed new bolts to mount the engine. I was lazy and didnt want to run to the hardware store so I put it back in the basement and didnt touch it.:sleeping: This week I decided to take it out. I moved into...
  5. M

Champion 6.5 hp (Honda Clone) conrod explosion

Was the engine properly broken in?
  6. M

The West part lol....
  7. M

ANNNNDD we have a rolling chassis:shifty:
  8. M

GX160 has no valve rotator

Mods please delete thread. Problem solved...
  9. M

Just to give everyone a preview.... A bad closeup of the texture, Painted the seat bracket green, just to give some more pop other than the front. I know the gouge in the rim is hideous, its behind the sprocket anyway, Preview of the contrast, Id say its going well for a...
  10. M

Got some work done today... painted the frame with the topcoat. I ended up using Rustoleum truck bed liner spray, this is the can... I love this stuff, it is pretty strong and has a fine texture, not too coarse/grainy, but not smooth. I just wish they made it in other colors.... I still...
  11. M

Progress OK so a bit of an update here:smile: Received the tires. They are Kenda K290 145/70/6 tubeless. Got them from "Bikebanditparts" on EBay. I only mention the seller because I got them so fast and pricing was very reasonable. Got new bearings, foot pegs, and valve stems from OldMiniBikes...
  12. M

Are clones just as good as the Hondas?

Yea thats what I figured (what everyone said) It just seems that no one really posts a topic about a Honda in the Honda forum:1orglaugh: I would use one for a smaller project for my nephew, but I wouldnt take the governor off. I only ask because of what Ive seen these GX engines go...
  13. M

Are clones just as good as the Hondas?

Aside from the price? I feel like the clones just wouldnt be made as good. Or are they strictly throwaway/experimental engines? I also feel like various tolerance specs wouldnt be perfect in some of these clones and the castings are more likely to be bad. I know the hondas are like...
  14. M

Hemi predator tav topspeed setup

My mini has a band brake on the back wheel. I had an old 5hp honda with only a straight pipe and a TAV-30. It ripped! and then I had to reallllly jam on the brake to even get the feel of slowing down. Ever drive a car and have your brakes fade to the floor?, this is similar and its not fun lol
  15. M

The tires are Carlisle and Cheng Shin... I thought they were good brands? The back tire actually came off the seat pretty easy. It was filled with water and that puncture seal crap. The front wheel was still good and has a tube in it. I just bought 2 new tires. Kenda K290 Scorpion tires. Not...
  16. M

Thanks for the help:smile: I thought there was some type of lube that you wiped around the tire beads before seating them? I feel like ive seen it at tire shops:confused: Well Lowes had a horrible selection of color. Most of it was whites, grays, and black colors. Went to Pepboys and it...
  17. M

OK so a couple years ago I bought this bike from someone off Craigslist. http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/general-minibike-talk/32492-new-toy-need-help.html It had a Tec. HS35 something connected to the TAV30. Took that off, put on an old GX140 from the 80s and enjoyed it for a lil...
  18. M

Planning my bike

oooo I never seen the TAV with a #35 output.:shrug: You shouldnt have too much trouble finding a frame or a complete bike where you are. Im always seeing people in the midwest general area picking up the best deals on bikes and cars and all that good stuff. A mini bike that would cost you...