Search results

1. A

Montgomery Ward/Gilson Build

Finally Done! This was my first build, brought me back to my youth! Started as a garage sale buy (see my albums) Added shocks, new seat, had to rebuild rear brake. I kept the B & S for a later rebuild and threw a Harbor Freight engine. Kept it basically stock, added air filter, carb jet &...
  2. A

Don't know whaat I'm doing wrong

I know there's a thread about this and I read it. I'm trying to post pics of my finished Montgomery Ward. I uploaded "before" pics to my album when I started this project but can't do it now. Tried several times! Frustrated!
  3. A

Guitars

Hey all, Ive taken a break from my mini rebuild. Wondering if there are any guitar players out there. Ive been playing for about 55 years and have been slowly parting with my guitars. I have two for sale if anyone is interested. 1 - 1967 Martin D12 20, Im the original owner and a 2004 DC 16...
  4. A

5HP/Mikuni Manifold

Hey all..been reading most of the threads concerning this topic but I need to know the following. The intake port on the 5 measures 3/4" in diameter. I'm trying to fab a manifold to accommodate a 23mm Mikuni. The port on the carb is a little over 7/8". Can I use 3/4ID pipe for the whole thing...
  5. A

Carb Advice

HELP..OK I thing I've read most of the threads concerning this but I would like some feed back. Looking to buy an aftermarket carb for my 5HP Briggs. Don't know which direction to go. Engine will be stock, w/remote gas tank. Mikuni Clone, Tillotson, or Techumseh. Don't want to order something...
  6. A

5HP Advice

Just finished taking apart my garage sale Briggs. I find that there is "some" scoring in the cylinder wall and on the piston. nothing severe. Here's my question, can I get away with it as is or should I go thru the whole "honing" thing. This wont be a racing bike just want to ride around and...
  7. A

Montgomery/Gilson Rebuild Brake question

Gotta love sandblasting ! When I bought this it was missing the brake. I have the original drum but no parts. Can I use an "internal" brake assembly instead of the strap? Already ordered cables and lever from OldMiniBikes
  8. A

Montgomery Ward Rebuild

Someone had welded a plate to reinforce original fork plate/support. Bad job, I plan on grinding off added plate at welds/both sides and rebuild/reinforce original plate. May have to fab new fork tees out of 3/16 plate. Any ideas/input would be appreciated.:shrug:
  9. A

Wider tires

Currently have 4.10 / 3.50 / 6 tires. need to buy new. They mounted on 6 x 4" alum wheels. Can I get a wider tire on those rims?
  10. A

Montgomery Ward/Gibson rebuild

I will be ordering a new jack shaft assembly later in the week. Need some help in locating the flange bushings, see pics. I can rebuild a new support bracket myself. The bushings seem to be cast iron. Should I replace with the same or use bronze.
  11. A

Wheels

Does anyone know the best way to clean up and restore the alloy wheels.
  12. A

Carb swap on 5HP

Took apart my 5HP from garage sale. Carb is messed up, gas tank quite rusty and springs missing from governor. I'd like use an aftermarket like Mikuni clone without hooking up the governor. I plan on making or adapting a remote gas tank as well. Will this work?
  13. A

Hey All, Im a new member. Picked up an mini bike at a garage sale this weekend, when I saw it it brought me back to my very early teens (1967 !!!!!). Bought it for $100 with 5HPBriggs. Already stripped it down and would like some help identifying. Needs front compression springs and rear...