14cc Head Upgrade???

Would you guys still recommend it even if i can't afford to have it ported/polished right now? I have just enough for stainless valves, the head, and hardened lash caps :doah:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Would you guys still recommend it even if i can't afford to have it ported/polished right now? I have just enough for stainless valves, the head, and hardened lash caps :doah:
With the stainless valves you will still need a valve job. They do not sit well inside of the stock seat without machining. You can lap the valves temperary, but it will need it often until you get it done.

From my experience, cheap, lowrange on pump gas .265 cam 18lb springs equals out to around a 13-15hp motor more less. That's what's neat about these motors, a little bit of part swapping and some elbow grease and it's a whole new ride. Having an end goal in mind - is it a one time mod or something to build on - will help to narrow down the choices. If you pride yourself in taking ownership of your projects there are countless threads on the subject of how to do it yourself. Taking a look at what is available off the shelf and what is actually done to those parts a little understanding can make the difference. For a well balanced setup, look at how the parts compliment each other and pick the ones that in your opinion make the best fit. If you are to rely on someone else to suggest (build) it for you what will happen when the time comes for a rebuild or upgrade?

With as much info that has been put out covering these small block heads/porting, etc over the last few years id spend the bucks on some basic hand tools and learn with hands on experience. Or, plop down and go with your impulse but realize for optimum performance the parts gotta work together. I was in your position and wanted the most for my money. And i probably reacted on impulse and at the time it didn't work out as well as I would have liked it to. But with time, i feel i got my monies worth. But it didn't happen over night. It's not difficult (for some) to get caught up with making big hp, and going fast. It's the nature of the beast and that high only last so loong. When channeling self directed input into the build however much gains are made will always be something to draw upon down the road. BTW i do have a head done up by Charles whom I consider a gearhead as defined by ehow. But it took time, and earnings to realize that investment. I don't gamble, don't use drugs, have an occassional drink, and my money could be spent on better and worse things,. Enjoy life, you only get to live it once.

i have a clone with these mods: 2 stage header, uni filter, 22mm mikuni w/ fuel pump, 18lb springs, billet fw and rod, .265 cam, retainer and keeper set, flat top piston.

I would like to step up the power one more step. Would a "bare" 14cc head be very much of an upgrade? Im only asking because its pretty cheap at about $60. Anything else in the low price range worth the price? will I be able to run 91 octane fuel? thanks in advance.