1965 3hp briggs carb. question.

matt2

Found this on cl, said 3hp briggs & stratton $20.00. It was still there a few days later. So I called the guy and asked if he would take $10.00 for it? He said yes and there you go something I need and get. I need help though. What do I need to rebuild carb.? I mean in the way of gaskets and diaphragm. Is there a good thread on here about how to rebuild this carb? I looked I'm sure that it's in this forum somewhere. Alright all you briggs guys help.

Thanks Matt:thumbsup:

no there not the same there is 2 different ones . old and the new . if you look at the cover you can just match up the diaphragms same with the tank gaskets just count the holes .

as for tricks clean the pick up screens real well and when you think there clean do them again till the pass cleaner or air freely

Briggs & Stratton Carburetor & Air Filter Mounting Gaskets tank gaskets

Carburetor & Fuel System Parts For Briggs & Stratton diaphragms i have ordered from here good packing and ok shipping speed , kinda high on shipping if you only need a few small parts tho but ya can find lots of stuff youll need

matt2

Thanks metal man I will remeber clean clean and then clean again. It seems like the most important thing is to make sure all passages and orafaces are open and clean and clear. Anything else I need to know???

There are some great cleaning videos on you tube.
Type in pulsa jet or briggs carb cleaning. One has a guy with white gloves on,,, he uses 2 cans of cleaner. Lol
The you need a diaphram, your diaphram spring and seat are probally fine, a gasket on the air filter side and a washer on the motor side. Run 2 washers where the carb meets rhe gas tank and you wont have to use gasket sealer. Just alot of cleaning. Run a thin brasss ( speaker) wire up in the short fat pichup tube.
Find you engine model # on the shroud. Then go to sears parts direct and type in the model #. You will get 3 diagrams and the parts #s.

Last edited:
no there not the same there is 2 different ones . old and the new . if you look at the cover you can just match up the diaphragms same with the tank gaskets just count the holes .

as for tricks clean the pick up screens real well and when you think there clean do them again till the pass cleaner or air freely

Briggs & Stratton Carburetor & Air Filter Mounting Gaskets tank gaskets

Carburetor & Fuel System Parts For Briggs & Stratton diaphragms i have ordered from here good packing and ok shipping speed , kinda high on shipping if you only need a few small parts tho but ya can find lots of stuff youll need
OldMiniBikes.com also has the gaskets and diaphragms your looking for. (And you get a free decal with a order :thumbsup:)
Then again its a pulsajet carb which many here say is crap from the start, So before ya invest in the cleaner and time.....a thought.

I use torch tip cleaners to run through the passages. Watch for the new "universal" kits, the jets are not drilled on some due to someone forgetting, some are too small and they expect you to drill em I guess and on a 3-3.5hp watch the jet doesn't protrude past the fuel pickup hole, same on the needle pot. They need space to create veturi effect and flow in general. I've rebuilt a bunch now and my son and I doing them for a handicapped guy who does mower repair here lately. We do the new style carbs now after two successful jobs. I did it out of pure need. I sent a carb to a member I'll never name and he sent me back junk, he sent another to try to please me but I was over it. The second one would not work so I got pissed twice. I no longer talk to this on time friend over his inability to own up to doing a poor job. So I guide my son through it since my hands barely work, well they work but I cannot feel them much. Clean the passages, the tubes like MM said and get the right kit most importantly. OldMiniBikes warehouse sells one for pulsajets.:thumbsup:

matt2

OldMiniBikes.com also has the gaskets and diaphragms your looking for. (And you get a free decal with a order :thumbsup:)
Then again its a pulsajet carb which many here say is crap from the start, So before ya invest in the cleaner and time.....a thought.
So Flexmode3 are you the one saying that they are crap? How crappy can they be they have been around forever? Anyway I hope they are ok because I have one on a new never ran 1998 raptor I'm starting this summer. How bad can they be when the 3hp has had the same carb since 1965? This is my first pulsajet rebuild so i have no opinion, yet. So wish me good luck I'm going in eyes open hands flailing gasket material and carb cleaner everywhere.:eek:hmy:

Hey, for those not willing to go through the steps and assure one is clean and the parts are correct I can see how a pulsajet could kick their arse. Once one has figured em out they are a damn good carb. Folks drill the jets for alcohol and bore the venturi remove the chokes etc for wicked flow. If you have no personal experience with em you really cannot speak to their quality. And the alternative is expensive, not everyone can afford to go Tillotson or Mikuni and this guy has a 3hp. Even tougher to get an aftermarket carb. Your advice was well meant I'm sure but misguided.:doah:

matt2

I use torch tip cleaners to run through the passages. Watch for the new "universal" kits, the jets are not drilled on some due to someone forgetting, some are too small and they expect you to drill em I guess and on a 3-3.5hp watch the jet doesn't protrude past the fuel pickup hole, same on the needle pot. They need space to create veturi effect and flow in general. I've rebuilt a bunch now and my son and I doing them for a handicapped guy who does mower repair here lately. We do the new style carbs now after two successful jobs. I did it out of pure need. I sent a carb to a member I'll never name and he sent me back junk, he sent another to try to please me but I was over it. The second one would not work so I got pissed twice. I no longer talk to this on time friend over his inability to own up to doing a poor job. So I guide my son through it since my hands barely work, well they work but I cannot feel them much. Clean the passages, the tubes like MM said and get the right kit most importantly. OldMiniBikes warehouse sells one for pulsajets.:thumbsup:
Thanks Outlaw Ace
I will run something through and clean all ports and runs as good as I can.
I will take my time and we will see how it turns out. I will be taking pictures as I take apart,clean and reassemble the carb. Thanks for your help everyone.

So Flexmode3 are you the one saying that they are crap? How crappy can they be they have been around forever? Anyway I hope they are ok because I have one on a new never ran 1998 raptor I'm starting this summer. How bad can they be when the 3hp has had the same carb since 1965? This is my first pulsajet rebuild so i have no opinion, yet. So wish me good luck I'm going in eyes open hands flailing gasket material and carb cleaner everywhere.:eek:hmy:
I haven't been around long enough to have an opinion. Only passing along some of TRKs advise. As for the "crap", touche'. The exact words I can remember is "puss-a-jet" They work and will run forever if kept clean. From what I have dealt with with the pulsajets, they will work at any angel because of the 2nd bowl and vacuum effect which is a plus. But if you lookin for more power that carb is a big limiting factor in that it only has a idle fule mixture screw. While the ones people generally upgrade to have one for both idle and high. TheRestoreKid can probably enlighten us a bet better than I can. :bowdown:

Hey, for those not willing to go through the steps and assure one is clean and the parts are correct I can see how a pulsajet could kick their arse. Once one has figured em out they are a damn good carb. Folks drill the jets for alcohol and bore the venturi remove the chokes etc for wicked flow. If you have no personal experience with em you really cannot speak to their quality. And the alternative is expensive, not everyone can afford to go Tillotson or Mikuni and this guy has a 3hp. Even tougher to get an aftermarket carb. Your advice was well meant I'm sure but misguided.:doah:
Or entirely wrong outright! =X Sorry.

Last edited:

buckeye

You were only posting from what you have read. Tec carbs are junk if ya ask a few folks. So opinions are like,well you know the saying.

I haven't been around long enough to have an opinion. Only passing along some of TRKs advise. As for the "crap", touche'. The exact words I can remember is "puss-a-jet" They work and will run forever if kept clean. From what I have dealt with with the pulsajets, they will work at any angel because of the 2nd bowl and vacuum effect which is a plus. But if you lookin for more power that carb is a big limiting factor in that it only has a idle fule mixture screw. While the ones people generally upgrade to have one for both idle and high. TheRestoreKid can probably enlighten us a bet better than I can. :bowdown:

Or entirely wrong outright! =X Sorry.
A lot of misinformation out there, gotta have hip waders to get through the BS here at times. You're OK, we all get a few mulligans thank goodness.:thumbsup:

You were only posting from what you have read. Tec carbs are junk if ya ask a few folks. So opinions are like,well you know the saying.
No I have 2 pulsajet carbs sitting in my basement on motors. So I actually have more experience with them than others. Then again I didn't find out about carbs with high/low adjustments until after I bought the cleaner, gaskets, diaphragms, and spent the time. Whats it all worth it to you? Was merely trying to offer another option before he got headlong into it. But I'll keep my comments to myself until I can form a logical opinion. Sorry to waste yalls time.

buckeye

No, dude, don't take me wrong. i wasn't dishin ya. I was jsut sayin there are all kinds of opinions. NNNNOOOO harm meant at all!!!

No I have 2 pulsajet carbs sitting in my basement on motors. So I actually have more experience with them than others. Then again I didn't find out about carbs with high/low adjustments until after I bought the cleaner, gaskets, diaphragms, and spent the time. Whats it all worth it to you? Was merely trying to offer another option before he got headlong into it. But I'll keep my comments to myself until I can form a logical opinion. Sorry to waste yalls time.
Nobody is wasting anyone's time. But the alternative to a pulsajet is a tough pill to swallow when all you need is a runner. I have a few alternatives and am still working on getting em just right. Your opinion is always welcome but expect others to weigh in, it's a forum and you gotta have thick skin to hang here at times. Nobody is dissing you and nobody wants you to keep your opinions to yourself unless you get rowdy putting em out there.:thumbsup: