1965 5 HP Tecumseh

This engine does not run it is going to need a rebuild. I was going to do it but I am just not a tecumseh guy I prefer briggs. I took most everything apart except the side cover(i couldnt get the pulley off of the shaft). I believe it has a bad camshaft because the lifters do not function like they should. The cylinder is in really good condition for an old engine. Id say get the valves functioning again, add new rings and a honing plus a good carb clean and this old tecumseh should run again. This would look great on someones older mini bike.

50 bucs plus shipping!! It weighs approx 40 pounds and will ship usps parcel post

Pm me or Text me at 931-980-1261

chatten63,
I know that the first digit in the serial number is the last number of the year of manufacture. How can you tell from the serial number that the engine was manufactured in 1983 and not 1973? Or can you also tell by the style of the engine? To be clear, I am not debating or disagreeing with you in any way- just trying to get educated.:wink:

chatten63,
I know that the first digit in the serial number is the last number of the year of manufacture. How can you tell from the serial number that the engine was manufactured in 1983 and not 1973? Or can you also tell by the style of the engine? To be clear, I am not debating or disagreeing with you in any way- just trying to get educated.:wink:
I would say by the Tecumseh sticker on the shroud and by the oil plug.

Wow thanks guys I really thought it was a 65 it looked old and i figured the 65 in the numbers meant that. I really dont know tecumseh's very well at all.

Still 50 plus shipping or make me an offer. I want it out of my garage

1973 was the last year that tecumseh used the rivited on tags for the model and serial numbers, 1974 to the last years made were stamped into the blower shroud. the oil filler plug is the newer style also,the older style was alot taller and easier to grab,yours has the 2 low profile split tab oil fill cap, the decal is too new also to be 1973,the throttle linkage is newer also,the side bolts that hold the blower shroud on should have a slot in them to be a 1973 also. There are a lot of small things that tell me it is a 1983 motor. hope this helps explain some of the questions:scooter: