1967 Briggs 3 horse

I posted this a few days ago, and for some reason I remembered it being a 3.5 horse and posted it as such. Instead of updating that thread with pics, I'll just let it die.

I have a 67 briggs 3 horse that has compression but no spark, so I'm assuming the points are stuck. It needs an air filter and a muffler to be complete. It's in pretty decent shape for being original, but does have a few dings on the tank and shroud. It would be a great project for a period-correct mini bike restoration. Would like to see $60 obo for it, or would part it out if I get interest in enough stuff off of it. Open to cash offers or trades.

DZLBIKE

A copper Briggs! What are the model and serial numbers? 5/8" output shaft? I have one on my workbench as we speak!
Nice! Good luck with your sale!

Knew I was forgetting something! Serial number is A804946, and these numbers are stamped on the shroud under that- 80332 0037 01 6707243. The 67 in that last string is what makes me think it's a 1967 motor, please correct me if I'm wrong. It has a 3/4" shaft. I don't have a compression gauge, but it feels decent when you pull the rope. It's definitely weaker than my 5 horse, for what that's worth.

Last edited:
Well, the motor is not sold. I was cleaning it up to ship it out and found a crack in the crankcase with a chunk missing. Really a bummer, but I'm glad I caught it before shipping it. I will part the motor out if anyone's interested in parts off of it.

oldfatguy

I'm interested in the gas tank. A hole in the block is easy to fix if anyone wants to save the block. I fixed my 8hp briggs block by pop riveting a piece of aluminum to the inside and filled the out side with JB Weld. once it was sanded down you can't see where it was patched.

that block might have a steel bore too

I will start pulling it apart tomorrow and get a better look at the block. It may be hard to repair because it's broken right where the side cover seals. Does $20 shipped on the tank and bracket sound fair?

Fuel tank, shroud, carb, crank, and side cover are sold.

I found the broken piece of the block inside the crankcase and it fits perfectly, so I believe it would actually be pretty easy to JB weld back into place. The gasket surface is still in good shape. The block does not have an iron bore. Cylinder wall looks to be in good shape, only some minor scratches and you can't feel a ridge.

Anyone need the block, piston/rod, coil, head, or cam?

The points and condenser were pretty corroded, so I am assuming that those were the cause of the problem. Unless someone can tell me how to test the coil, I was going to just sell it cheap "as is".