1967 Lil Indian 6000 Survivor Restore or Not?

I purchased this bike last year, as shown in the first 3 photos. It's a late 1967 Lil Indian 6000 w/2 spd. trans. The fuel tank had been dented & poorly repainted, and there was some blue sealant between the carb. & tank. The tires were worn {especially the rear}, and the once white rims had seen better days. The original throttle control housing was cracked, and the governor linkage was M.I.A., otherwise it appeared to be pretty much stock and original. It could be classified as a rare survivor with issues I suppose. On the plus side is the original "Radical Red" paint, the correct/original engine, the chrome cleaned up fairly nice, the seat is real nice, and the disc brake is intact and works perfectly. It's also the most comfortable set-up I've found for someone my size {6'/195 lb.}. These style handlebars are PERFECT! The first time I started it, the engine ran/sounded great, but the problem was... It ran/sounded great for less than a minute or two. It would stay running just long enough to let me know what a GREAT cruiser it was, then stall. After numerous attempts to get it running failed, I ended up sending the engine off to a friend of Mean Dean {Thanks Dean & Dave!} in Michigan who specializes in old Briggs. Over the last 7 months, he went through it with a fine tooth comb, AND did a few old-school "tricks" to make it a tad "meaner". He called me yesterday letting me know it was finished. He even fired it up on the phone for me! :laugh: The 6000 is sitting patiently, as clean as I can get it, waiting for its return {last photo}. This bike is a keeper for me. It's a perfect cruiser and an absolute classic American made mini bike. So, now that it has some replaced parts {gas tank, governor linkage, engine paint?}, needs tires, and the rims look awful, I'm considering doing a complete restoration. If not for the rusty rims, I could live with current "patina", but the engine is definitely going to look a bit out of place if he painted it, which I'm not sure he did {forgot to ask}. Curious what some of you might think. Restore it, or leave it alone?

Last edited by a moderator:

buckeye

Well, that is a beauty as she sit's.
You have to clean it up anyway prior to painting anything.
So, clean those rims up real good, shine up the chrome, and see what you can do with the the remainder of the paint. You may be surprised how nice it looks. :thumbsup:

tyleryamaha

Nice bike Mr G...... I also have one that I am restoring.. Mean Dean and Dave , good people there. I need an exhaust like yours ! Very nice.

PLEASE just clean that awesome survivor. I only restore bikes that truly need it. That bike is all there and has great paint. Clean it and enjoy it. Like Bandit said, it is only original once. Also other hobbies have been proven that survivors can be worth twice the money of a great restoration. My 2 cents.

markus

those wheels are pretty beyond survivor compared to the rest of the bike if you ask me and need to be redone. The engine as well. The rest of the bike looks very nice in the pictures and I dont think redoing the wheels and and engine will take away or look odd, unless you plan to have them super glossy with clear dumped on them etc.. Just a nice simple single stage paint similar to what probably was done to them in 1967.

I would leave it original. Clean it up good. Use Super Clean on the wheels and engine. It will remove the rust staining and make them fit the rest of the bike.

That's a tough call Mr G...Frame paint looks good as is, but I agree the wheels need to be cleaned up somehow...but not too clean as to look out of place.:shrug:

Gotta tread lightly around those engine decals too...Super Clean works well like Tom suggested but that stuff is pretty caustic so be careful around the shroud...

If you like riding it then don't paint it. If you do you will be afraid to ride it like it should be. Its a mini bike not a show piece. If you make it a show piece then it becomes a trailer queen and they just take up space. Riders don't take up storage space that you are afraid to go near and maybe put a scratch on them. I agree the wheels are ugly. Leave the frame original because it looks good enough and paint those ugly wheels then ride the heck out of it. :scooter:

Well, that is a beauty as she sit's.
You have to clean it up anyway prior to painting anything.
So, clean those rims up real good, shine up the chrome, and see what you can do with the the remainder of the paint. You may be surprised how nice it looks. :thumbsup:
That's exactly why the wheels bother me. I scrubbed the heck out of them and they still look bad.

There only original once comes to mind as far as leaving it alone it looks great.:smile:
I may just do that. :thumbsup:

Nice bike Mr G...... I also have one that I am restoring.. Mean Dean and Dave , good people there. I need an exhaust like yours ! Very nice.
Thanks TY! :thumbsup:

PLEASE just clean that awesome survivor. I only restore bikes that truly need it. That bike is all there and has great paint. Clean it and enjoy it. Like Bandit said, it is only original once. Also other hobbies have been proven that survivors can be worth twice the money of a great restoration. My 2 cents.
Point taken SW, thanks. :thumbsup:

those wheels are pretty beyond survivor compared to the rest of the bike if you ask me and need to be redone. The engine as well. The rest of the bike looks very nice in the pictures and I dont think redoing the wheels and and engine will take away or look odd, unless you plan to have them super glossy with clear dumped on them etc.. Just a nice simple single stage paint similar to what probably was done to them in 1967.
Thanks Markus, appreciate it! :thumbsup:

I would leave it original. Clean it up good. Use Super Clean on the wheels and engine. It will remove the rust staining and make them fit the rest of the bike.
I haven't tried that on the wheels Tom, thanks for the suggestion, I'll check that out. :thumbsup:

That's a tough call Mr G...Frame paint looks good as is, but I agree the wheels need to be cleaned up somehow...but not too clean as to look out of place.:shrug:

Gotta tread lightly around those engine decals too...Super Clean works well like Tom suggested but that stuff is pretty caustic so be careful around the shroud...
Going to try "Super Clean" as Tom suggested. Dean's buddy may have already painted the engine. It never came up because he was going to use another block, but ended up using the original, so I'm actually curious to find out myself.
If you like riding it then don't paint it. If you do you will be afraid to ride it like it should be. Its a mini bike not a show piece. If you make it a show piece then it becomes a trailer queen and they just take up space. Riders don't take up storage space that you are afraid to go near and maybe put a scratch on them. I agree the wheels are ugly. Leave the frame original because it looks good enough and paint those ugly wheels then ride the heck out of it. :scooter:
Thanks Randy, I agree, and appreciate the opinion! :thumbsup:

1stBxMopar

I will probably catch flack for this, but I would restore it. Match all painted parts including the engine the correct colors and finish, rechrome all the chrome parts, replate and match all the hardware with the original finish. Leave the seat alone it looks perfect. Reproduce any stickers and graphics. Rebuild the motor, reassemble and RIDE THE HELL OUTTA IT !!!! AND NEVER SELL IT.................:thumbsup:
Just my 2 cents..............

joem

I wish that was mine...
same handlebars they used on the outlaw chopper in 68/69
would you please tell me what size tires and the make...

I guess the real question is how the motor comes back. If he painted it up, then you are really in a pinch. Either weather the paint, or restore the rest of the bike.

I would weather in the tank. Gasoline.. paint thinner.. coffee (for those brown tones :thumbsup:)

I could crap that tank up in a week. Mail it over and ill throw it out by the doghouse!

Beautiful bike as is!

T-Town Mini

I would polish all the original chrome and keep the frame as is giving it a good clean & wax. The wheels should be either replaced with new or be repainted/coated in the original color...and, add new rubber, of course. You can always keep the wheels and tires for any future use to offer it as a survivor if need be.

A classic ride always looks good with shiny new tires & rims.