1969 HeathKit Boonie Bike Project

Hi Everyone! I've been lurking in the shadows here for months. I didn't want to post my project until it was completed. About 17 years ago a close friend gave me a running Boonie Bike that he himself had built from the kit in 1969, complete with the check off assembly manual. I played with this thing around my 2-1/2 acres for several years and then stored it away for a few years. I ended up going through a divorce and gave this thing to my neighbor about 9 years ago. Well my son at the time was 3 yo and after the divorce had no room to keep it. Ran into my old neigbor abougt 8 months ago and he offered the Boonie Bike back to me and I grabbed it. My son now 12 wanted to restore it with me so here's what we did and I'll post the pictures. This was a complete restore form the ground up. Most parts are still original, Wheels, Tires, Engine, Jackshaft Transmission, frame, and seat. The stuff that was replaced are things like bearings, fasteners, cables, grips, gas tank and muffler. All parts were powder coated and baked rather than paint. I did fabricate a new Low range shift plunger that we will install to get the low range of the 2 speed working again. I did rebuild the transmission, a tough time getting the jackshaft clutch springs. If you look me up on facebook you can see the video of my son riding the Boonie Bike. Facebook: Dick Clukey

Welcome to OldMiniBikes:thumbsup: Great story and seems to have had a happy ending. Nice looking bike and it looks like you have done a nice job on it.

A great story, nice to get your original mini back. Restoration turned out great. I lost my Rupp Scrambler many years ago after I had moved out of the house. I stopped by the parents house for a visit and noticed it was missing. Found out my little brother sold it to a neighbor, never did see it again. Glad your story turned out better than mine.

delray

cool project for you and your son.......:scooter: now your going to have to build another bike, so both of you can come out to windber next year....:thumbsup: