1975 Cat Wildcat

I've had this bike for over a year and hadn't done much to it. Jimmy (jpr95) send it. He got it off some kids who came wheeling it up to his shop to see if he could fix it. That was years ago, and he ended up trading them another bike for it. It came with original engine, welded on clutch, wrong carb with a string for a throttle, the usual. I stole the chain guard off of it and used it on another bike.

I repaired the tank with MEK-based sealer, as there was a crack in the plastic weld. Not supposed to do this, but I tested the sealer on a junk plastic tank and it worked great.

I know the chrome bits are supposed to be flat black. However, I did chrome the bars. Also did the fork springs and Taylor exhaust-which blows smoke directly on the rear fender. :thumbsup:

This was my first try at rebuilding a Tecumseh engine, and it came out good somehow. :laugh: http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/t...-getting-ass-kicked-again-h35.html#post714465

This bike needs a TAV and rear suspension, but I'm not going to do it. I have a Cat chain guard coming that I will modify to specs. I will de-weld the extension, and fab up one for this bike and spot weld it on, then chrome it.

We all say these things ride terribly, but I found by clamping my knees to the tank, I was able to ride it around the roads and it would keep up with the traffic if I allowed it to keep accelerating for a long time. I have all the decals for it, including the rare Sumitome tank tape on the bottom. :wink:

Not sure how far I'll take it. Chrome the rims (and wheels with spokes are called rims) maybe paint it, maybe powder coat the fenders, I don't know. But someone asked for photos, and here it is. :scooter:

What I SHOULD have done was build it into the Canadian version, so the chrome would be more correct.

fistfullabar

that is sweet thanks dave i agree it does need back shocks:smile:engine looking sharp too giving me some hope on my engine that came on the speedway more i clean her up i see how little wear and tear she got on her:scooter:

that is sweet thanks dave i agree it does need back shocks:smile:engine looking sharp too giving me some hope on my engine that came on the speedway more i clean her up i see how little wear and tear she got on her:scooter:
Thanks. I've come up with a couple of ways to mount a flat steel swing arm, but it would require a jack shaft to deal with the changing chain tension, or a chain roller on a spring. At some point, it would be a crappy version of a dirt bike, so I might as well keep it what it is.

45t

They are sweet looking bikes for sure, but I agree with the crappy ride. I spent a lot of time locating parts and putting mine together only to be disappointed by the ride. I ended up parting mine out, because no one wanted to buy it whole. :shrug:

I always thought it would ride better if it had a longer seat with seat rails mounting to rear shocks like a 400X.

That's a nice seat on yours by the way! :thumbsup:

I always thought it would ride better if it had a longer seat with seat rails mounting to rear shocks like a 400X.

That's a nice seat on yours by the way! :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: Yes Mitch, it definitely feels better if I'm way back on the seat. I was surprised at how well it handled at top speed on the asphalt roadways though.

There was one on ebay for a long time for $400 and no one wanted it. Not running. I might keep this one, because I ended up liking it. It's fun to stare at and imagine what I could do with it with an angle grinder and a welder.

45t

:thumbsup: Yes Mitch, it definitely feels better if I'm way back on the seat. I was surprised at how well it handled at top speed on the asphalt roadways though.
I wonder if it would be better sitting further back. I took some of the parts that didn't sell from my Wildcat (front end and kickstand) and had Roccosbikes graft them onto a 400X frame. It sits higher and runs the bigger 4.00-6 tires front and back. I'm hoping that it will work well and ride nice once I get it done. I like having the bigger handlebars and triple tree up front to run a bigger tire.

I wonder if it would be better sitting further back. I took some of the parts that didn't sell from my Wildcat (front end and kickstand) and had Roccosbikes graft them onto a 400X frame. It sits higher and runs the bigger 4.00-6 tires front and back. I'm hoping that it will work well and ride nice once I get it done. I like having the bigger handlebars and triple tree up front to run a bigger tire.
That is a good idea using those parts. I'm assuming this has less rake than the Wildcat has.

This thing has the original H35 and Taylor exhaust. The exhaust exits right into the frame and rear fender, leaving soot.

Anyone else had this problem? I'm not sure how to remedy it and keep it looking original. Poorly designed. Again.

markus

This thing has the original H35 and Taylor exhaust. The exhaust exits right into the frame and rear fender, leaving soot.

Anyone else had this problem? I'm not sure how to remedy it and keep it looking original. Poorly designed. Again.
The "all-american" of the same vintage I had did the same dam thing :doah:

How about one of those little 90 degree exit caps that screw on? I dunno what the overall diameter is or if you can just get one on it own :shrug: Like the one bottom right in the pic:

The "all-american" of the same vintage I had did the same dam thing :doah:
LOL, thanks markus. Missery loves company. :laugh:

There just isn't enough flange on those Taylor's to mount that piece. I might have to fabricate something that attaches to the side screws that hold in the screen to deflect it.

And of course, I had that Taylor pipe chromed before I realized this was happening. :hammer:

I just tried to fit a smaller Briggs and Stratton deflector (BS Deflector?) :laugh: and it could be modified, welded, etc.

The problem is that there is fender and frame in the way of the exhaust no matter how it's routed. I guess I'm going to have to get a much longer pipe, and shove it over the top of the fender, or live with it.

Dave.....an elbow and one of these mufflers ='s problem solved.
Some of the Cats came with this setup anyway.....
Nobody will bust your balls over it.....I know I won't.

Here's one on my 350SS

Last edited: