2 stroke Clinton .....HELP

jeep4me

Having some issues getting and keeping my Clinton E65 two stroke engine running, long enough for me to get down the driveway.

I've cleaned the carb, changed the fuel lines. Fresh gas / oil mix....1/4 pint of sae 30w to a gallon of gas.... per the instructions on the engine.

Sometimes the engine floods out if the fuel valve is open for too long. But the float, floats and seems to seal properly.

It'll idle ok, and rev up ok just sitting in the drive. But as soon as I take off it seems like it runs out of gas, then I can't get it started again for a few minutes.

Driving me crazy!

While not your problem with stalling do not use sae30wt oil with gas. That was what was done in the early 60's use a good synthetic kart or motorcycle oil. Redline, amsoil moutil make good 2 cycle oils and mix with 8 oz to a gal gives a 16 to 1 ratio. Old two strokes usually need new seals to prevent crankcase air leaks around the crank seals. If your motor will sit and idle without drifting around it may be ok but normally you have to pressure test them. Sounds like you may be a tad lean, is there a main jet adjustment on the bottom of the float bowl? if it has one try opening it up a 1/8 turn at a time. When they get too rich they will 4 stroke and then you just close it till it cleans up.

just saw that it takes a bit before it will restart. does sound like gas is not flowing past float valve very well. did you clean out carb and the needle and seat?

jeep4me

Cleaned what I could in the carb. There's a fitting, possibly a fuel filter or fuel pump, molded to the fuel intake on the carb.
Has two lines running into it. Top line runs to the crank housing on the motor, just above the carb manifold. The second line, into the bottom, is the fuel line from the gas tank.
Not sure if I can open that fitting, I didn't want to force it open and break anything.

Fuel isn't flowing exceptionally fast out of the needle/seat with the float lowered. I'm thinking, maybe the weird fitting on the side of the carb is plugged.

Last edited:
from your description you have a diaphragm carb. probably a tillotson. number should be on bottom. If you can find the number you can get a rebuild kit to replace the diaphragms, screen filter ect. Can you post a pic of the carb?

jeep4me

from your description you have a diaphragm carb. probably a tillotson. number should be on bottom. If you can find the number you can get a rebuild kit to replace the diaphragms, screen filter ect. Can you post a pic of the carb?
Here's the best picture of the carb I have right now. I dropped the bike off to a friend of mine who owns a small engine shop. There's an older guy that works there, that knows these engines. Hopefully he'll get it running right for me.