2015 Burt's Drift Trike - MTTW Class

wb4rt

Sorry, I'm late getting this posted. I hope you enjoy the build. I will be happy to try to answer questions as I have found it difficult to get specific information on what works and what doesn't. Of course, I won't know what works until I finish!

Drift Trike 4.jpg

wb4rt

One more picture. Beginning the seat. My daughter gave me several stadium seats from the University of Georgia when they tore down the old gym. I am trying for a "Big Wheel" look, so I thought this might be cool.

Drift Trike 6.jpg

wb4rt

I am both MIG and TIG welding the frame. The main frame is 14 gauge 1.5" square tube. For the connection point, I cut 2 round discs to fit where the peddles were. Then I cut 3/4" square out of the middle, slid a 3/4" square tube through, and put 1" 11 gauge tube on from either side. All that is now MIG welded to the bike frame.

BTW, I would love to have comments, suggestions, other information! I still need to order my drive train and I am having problems finding tires, wheels, and hubs that work together. Not being a mechanic, I find the lack of information basic information on-line very frustrating. Seems they would at least tell you that a hub is American or European bolt pattern. Or this tire will fit this wheel.

I want a 11" tire 5" wide to fit a 5" wheel (11x5x5) or something like that. So I need a 5" wheel about 5" wide with American Bolt pattern and a hub with an American Bolt pattern to fit a 1" live axle. Any help finding this so it all fits would be appreciated.

BTW, I would love to have comments, suggestions, other information! I still need to order my drive train and I am having problems finding tires, wheels, and hubs that work together. Not being a mechanic, I find the lack of information basic information on-line very frustrating. Seems they would at least tell you that a hub is American or European bolt pattern. Or this tire will fit this wheel.

I want a 11" tire 5" wide to fit a 5" wheel (11x5x5) or something like that. So I need a 5" wheel about 5" wide with American Bolt pattern and a hub with an American Bolt pattern to fit a 1" live axle. Any help finding this so it all fits would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I have the same trouble sometime but usually find something close to what I want in the trailer tire/wheel market and use a hub with 4 on 4 bolt pattern and 1" hole for live axle setup. Good luck, looks like a fun time.:thumbsup:

we bought wheels , used race kart tires and the pvc sleeves from Modernline Drift Trikes as a package , they use standard 3 lug kart wheel hubs for 1" axle , OldMiniBikes has it all !

I want a 11" tire 5" wide to fit a 5" wheel (11x5x5) or something like that. So I need a 5" wheel about 5" wide with American Bolt pattern and a hub with an American Bolt pattern to fit a 1" live axle. Any help finding this so it all fits would be appreciated.

I have the same trouble sometime but usually find something close to what I want in the trailer tire/wheel market and use a hub with 4 on 4 bolt pattern and 1" hole for live axle setup. Good luck, looks like a fun time.:thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

Comet kart sales (located in Indiana) has a kit that they will sell you for the rear drivetrain, wheels, etc. They have it all. Contact them and ask for Rex.

Comet Kart Sales - The Largest Kart Shop on the Net - Racing Karts, Go Kart, Go Karts, Go Karting

wb4rt

Finished the seat this morning, and started on the handle bars. I cut the original handle bars down, and sleeved inside the tube. I will bend 7/8" tube for the right angle and weld back together. Of course I will have to grind off what chrome is left and paint or re-chrome.

Drift Trike 7.JPG

Drift Trike 8a.jpg

wb4rt

Ordered the parts for my drive train today!

:scooter::scooter::scooter::scooter::scooter::scooter::scooter::scooter:

Now I need some brakes!?

I'm thinking bike caliper brakes - good idea or not?

Last edited:
Here is a drifter my son and his buddy built, they found out after riding It that the back disc brakes didn't do much good...but then they Installed a front disc brake and that worked much better. :thumbsup:

wb4rt

Here is where I am as of today. My parts came in last night so I built the axle with bearings, hubs, and sprocket. The tires took a long time to mount on the wheels. I think they look good.
Drift Trike 1-29A.jpg

Started on the hybrid handle bars. I cut the original bike handle bars because they did not fit for this. Sleeved the center raised part, and bent new longer ends out of 7/8" 14 gauge tube. I will trim the outside handle area to fit after I finish TIG welding them together.
Drift Trike 1-29b.jpg

I clamped the bearings to the frame to see how it will look. I will not drill the holes for the bearings until I get my engine and make my mounting plate. I built a jig last year to cut the slots for the engine plate with my plasma cutter - I have made 3 already and it works pretty well.
Drift Trike 1-29c.jpg

I have a few issues to work out. Brakes, new tire, engine and engine mounting plate.

If you are looking for some part information:
40" x 1" gokart axle, keyed and clamped wheel hubs and sprocket hub.
Sprocket is 60 tooth, for 35 chain.
Wheels are 7.75x5
Tires (used) 11x 7.1x5
1" pillow block bearings

Hey OND - thanks for posting that picture. I get ideas from every drift trike I see. The scratch-built are all very different!

Last edited:
Looking good. Hopefully we will have some karting wheels here at OldMiniBikes soon so I can sell complete packages for people instead of just drive train. Love the re purposed seat!

wb4rt

Motor plate made and welded. Pillow block bearings mounted.

Drift Trike 10a.jpg

Our weather is supposed to be better on Saturday, so with some luck I'll be painting then!

:laugh:

wb4rt

Foot pegs added, painted, cables installed, chain on, kill switch wired.

Drift Trike 24.JPG

HDPE sleeves should be here by tomorrow!!

I hope to be riding this week-end!!

:smile: :scooter: :laugh: :thumbsup: