212cc Predator non hemi vs 420cc Predator

Decision time I have a 212cc non hemi predator. Runs Great no smoke starts right up, but will be 2 years old in Sept. Mods include header exhaust and custom air filter, also governor was removed about 1 year ago. This combo was GPS'd at 42 MPH. Clutch, rear tire size and rear sprocket are all staying the same.

I want more!
Do I build up my 212cc? Or start with a Fresh 420cc Predator?

The 212cc would be getting Billet flywheel, correct length billet Rod, High compression Head, and gasket, new carb Jet and emulsion tube, (Fuel pump?) Heavier Valve springs,retainers, pushrods, (honda valves?)
Airfilter and Header change if needed.

Thanks in advance. Please let me know if there already is a thread on this?

I think there are way more options for building up the predator. For the money, I think you're better off doing that. The 420 will make way more torque, but the parts for it are significantly higher in price if you're looking for performance.
Going fast costs money. You can make that 212 scary fast for the mini bike. I've got one that will never go on anything smaller than my kart because it would scare me. Just keep in mind that a speed demon motor will perform best at high rpms. If you're looking for fun between 4000 and 5000 rpms, you'll need to consider that when buying your cam. If you're looking at spinning over 7000, you'll need to look at different cams. And be careful with the stock rod. That thing is junk. Gearing will also make a difference with your top end speed. Sorry if you already know all of this. Just thought I'd chime in. Have fun!

How do you plan on stopping? With the increase in mph, you need to add stopping power. A foot brake doing 42 mph currently is not the safest way of stopping.

ive heard more about flywheel and crank failures than rod failures. a 420 is a huge motor and will be hard to fit in the bike. bigger motors have more torque, but dont like higher RPMS (imagine spinning around with bucket full of water, then spinning same speed with a bucket full of lead, which one will fly out of your hand first?) if you are going for higher top speed you need to build the predator for more RPMS, if you want to get there faster, you can try to put the 420 in but as has already been pointed out, you dont really have enough bike for more power.... you need to start thinking about brakes before you hurt yourself :eek:ut::eek:ut:

Not using Green frame or fork. It never had brakes till I sold it. My plans are to build this frame and fork. Will have a 4' drum brake in rear. Frame is getting some gussets also.

I think I am gonna be building my 212cc. It will be more "FUN".

I bought my 212 at Harbor Freight Labor Day weekend 2012. I do not have my box. Is there a way to tell what part # my engine is ? I do know it is not a Hemi.

I am starting the tear down process. This is going to be a FUN project!

Finally got my parts ordered Hunter at ARC was very helpful.

Billet flywheel
Billet long rod
flat top piston
performance spark plug
28 lb valve springs
Mod 2 cam
Bigger jets and emulsion tube

Already have header and free flowing air cleaner.
Governor is already removed.

Very excited to get this back together!

Finally got my parts ordered Hunter at ARC was very helpful.

Billet flywheel
Billet long rod
flat top piston
performance spark plug
28 lb valve springs
Mod 2 cam
Bigger jets and emulsion tube

Already have header and free flowing air cleaner.
Governor is already removed.

Very excited to get this back together!
Sounds Good !:thumbsup::thumbsup:

cxbra

How do you plan on stopping? With the increase in mph, you need to add stopping power. A foot brake doing 42 mph currently is not the safest way of stopping.
Are you kidding me?? The only bikes that I can lock up the rear tire at 30mph+ are the ones with a foot brake! If you have a footbrake and a rear slick, then that thing will lock up with half of your foot pressure, like it does on my El Tigre :). Ive had a horrible flexy disc brake on my old db30 that I wouldnt trust and the drum brake on my Hawg-ty didnt work for :censure:, and it dragged if you wanted to have any stopping ability at all..

Engine all back together. Started it today. Holy Cow does it sound Good!

Gonna putt it around this week then Change the oil, check torque on rod and head, also will check valve lash. Give it some fresh oil and see what it does.

Last edited: