2nd HOBBY

Oldsalt

Got several hobbys other than old mini bikes. The attached pictures shows one. I collect antique gas engines. This is the latest addition that was acquired almost a year ago. It's a 45 HP Holt [forerunner of the Catterpillar] engine. A 1915 model that was used to power a combine. In one picture we were just getting it home and putting it blocks so it can be worked on. The second shows the crankcase with the barrels and etc. removed. The engine is currently ready to start but we had a lot of trouble [and danger] attempting to fire it useing a bar in the flywheel holes. Currently a diesel engine starter motor is being set-up to spin it over.

Oldsalt

what are you planning on doing with that engine?
This is another one that'll require it's own trailer so that it can be taken to a show or county fair without grave dificulty. I'm thinking this monster might be fun to fire up once in a while like in the front yard on Holloween. I heard one running a few years ago. The incredable clatter of the valves and the bark of the exhaust is not soon forgotten. Have approx. 10 large running engines built in the teens or 20s. Another 15 smaller hit and miss engines [1-1/2 to 5 HP]. This engine was given to me so I can't sell it, gotta store it.

Thump,Thump,Thump,Thump,Pow,Thump,Thump,Thump,Thump, Pow Is that what makes a hit & miss so great to collect?
I saw one set up with a drag saw to cut myrtle wood slabs and when it was completed it just shut off. Sure wasn't fast but it made great cuts. That was in Goldendale, Washington
Steve :scooter:

Last edited:

Oldsalt

Thump,Thump,Thump,Thump,Pow,Thump,Thump,Thump,Thump, Pow Is that what makes a hit & miss so great to collect?
I saw one set up with a drag saw to cut myrtle wood slabs and when it was completed it just shut off. Sure wasn't fast but it made great cuts. That was in Goldendale, Washington
Steve :scooter:
The Holt motor is 'throttle goverened' and is one of the few old engines that I have that is not 'hit and miss'. It's max. RPM is 350 according to a brass plate. The thing I like most about them is the vast differences in design that were used. Several engines that were incompetition with each other will have different approaches to do the same thing. Valve gear and governing were all 'up in the air' issues before WW1. Now engines, of all sorts, are identical in design worldwide. I have approx. one and a half drag saws. Never got around making one work. Goldendale! It's a small world. My son's father-in-law lives in Goldendale and he does the body and paint on our competition cars.

my 2nd hobby is mp3's.

i've got 81,603 on my winamp playlist right now.

i'm a music whore. i have 70+gb i haven't even gone through yet (i check the tags for everyone) and it's been months since i've even downloaded anything. if you love metal, i probably have what you want.

poppa

Those old hit and miss engines are pretty cool.They have a thresheree Labor day weekend and alot of those are shown with the old tractors.

Oldsalt

Here's another hobby that I fool around with for years. But it's time consumeing. These are a few of the miniature engines that I built over the years. The raw castings are available from people that are skilled enough and determined enough to design the scale pieces and make casting patterns and then have parts cast in iron and brass and sometimes aluminum. I just buy the raw, unmachined castings and start there. These are all 1/4 scale and 1/6 scale models of old hit and miss engines. All run nicely on Coleman camp fuel or a small propane torch bottle. A special "demand regulator" has to be hand made to use propane. Ignition is by spark ignition, ether buzz coil [a Model T Ford coil works fine] or regular points and coil. The second to the last engine has an "ignitor" inside the combustion chamber rather than a normal spark plug. To scale the ignitor down to one sixth size, and still make it work, was one of the hardest machine jobs I have attempted. All the valves, pistons, oilers, and etc. are made from scratch. I usuall buy rings because they can be purchased and they are a bitch to make. All springs are hand wound and many of the tiny nuts and bolts are hand made so they at least look to be scale models of the original antique fasteners.

A little ignorance here, how the heck do you NOT get the other cars' lines tangled? :doah:

Never mind, I googled it, WOW!!!!!! How do you keep from getting dizzy???

Last edited:
A little ignorance here, how the heck do you NOT get the other cars' lines tangled? :doah:
I wondered the same thing. Unless they are tethered in a straight line? I use to build and fly line control planes, those were in a circle to keep tension on the controls. But a car just has to go straight, right? But that pic clearly shows a tie point on 1 side. My head hurts.

Last edited:

den35

While I do a fair amount of computer work as well(big surprise),I'll be starting a new project in the spring.

Repairing(or perhaps restoring) this old Peterborough cedar strip boat.