3 Horsepower EXTREME mods

Now we all know that adding a header, aircleaner and governor removal would help a three horse motor out and add some horsepower and help the little motor out, but what if you want more, alot more? well your very limited on what you can do, and if it is done it would be an extreme amount of work, and the true horsepower gains unclear,

During my recent teardown of the new 5 horse block that im going to build up, I decided to drag out the 3 horse that sits under my block, its a cute small motor that's been gathering dust for many years and probably hasnt run in more, and adding my burned valves and old piston from the 5 horse, I noticed some interesting possibility's.....

First, the block size is extremely different, BUT, things are seemingly compatible. ( five horse on the left)

Now looking at the small valves in the 3 horse, I noticed that with new seats and a little work, the 5 horse larger diameter valves seem to be able to fit, not only do they fit, they will permit more flow, and no the valves are not to long

Next we look at the piston, the three horse, obviously smaller but the 5 horse piston fits within the head bolt pattern....

Now we look over at the ports and the spring chamber,

the springs fit, meaning I can use 5 horse springs to get heavier springs in, and the port sizes are extremely close if not the same as the 5 horse,

and this allows for a smaller diameter (possibly a .960 inch inner diameter header) but it also allows use of this....

So, my final verdict is, I can make the displacement and flow of a 3 horse larger, and more flow, yielding more horsepower when properly jetted, I could also cut the head, or a dual plug head, and if money permitting have dyno cut me a cam, and grab a billet flywheel

The downsize is I doubt the motor would last very long, how ever for scrap parts, ( the only thing id need is valves and seats) It would be an interesting experiment to see what I could pull out of the little motor, even if I does grenade. So one day, when I have a few dollars to spend, I may have to play around
in this new realm

If anything I hope its some inspiration for someone out there!

Last edited:
inspire inspire inspire inspire inspire inspire inspire inspire inspire inspire
is that good haha go for it clements took a stock 5 hp bilet rod and 500 compres height piston in a 33 hp he made decent horse power with it lol to say the least

i remember that thread on 4 cycle the 5hp rod and .590 comp. height piston height didn't work out, talk to the guy that bought the parts and tried to build it!!- no it was not me.
i would a imagine a different rod and piston combo would work.

also, jay wrix, do you plan on getting a billet rod?- if you ever do this.

Milo, Mike Clements has produced some ungodly creations, and read about his 3 horse monster,

Alfalfa, I highly doubt that id have a custom rod made, unless I was impressed, I know very well what a stock five horse rod can take and how much they can be abused, its rather impressive, so i guess the answer is I would like to for the insurance policy,

But if i can land a cheap .500 compression height piston, I would add a billet 5 horse rod, but for now its stock 3 horse rod baby!

This is very interesting, I have been toying around with the idea of doing this very same thing with my worn out 3.5hp tec.
But here is another thought, by doing this mod you would be essentially putting the Briggs 5hp into a package 3/4 the size, and there for creating the never made Briggs 5hp-S (Small frame)

Mike Clements has produced some ungodly creations, and read about his 3 horse monster
I have heard mentions about this motor several times, but would love to hear/read some actual details about it.

If anyone can come up with some links, info, etc about it, I would really appreciate it.

Cool thread.

I've considered doing something like this myself. I just don't like the idea of all that work for maybe 5-8hp. It would be different, which would be cool. I don't know. Keep us in the loop. Scott.

Seems like an awesome project. However, not to be negative but wouldnt it be easier to just... use a 5hp engine? Instead of taking all of the 5hp parts and putting them in a 3hp engine, just leave the 5hp as is. Wouldnt you get the same amount of power since the parts are all the same just in a different block? Does the 3hp block and head offer high compression or a different flow without modification?

how did this project go? i am currently trying a similar project as well. i want to push my 3 horse as far as i can go just to see how much it can go and take. any suggestions?