3hp Briggs and Stratton Engine Trouble

I'm sure this question is asked I lot but couldn't find any direct answers to what is going on with my engine. I have a 3hp Briggs and Stratton that was probably sitting around for 10-20 years with gas in the tank and the oil not drained. I had some help and was able to drain the old gas and oil, soak the carb in carb cleaner for about 1 hour and it started right up on the about the eighth pull. Now after the engine was repainted and put back on the frame it took almost 30 pulls to get it running. Finally got it running and it would either run good or stop after one or two seconds. I know the engine runs because I had it going at high throttle. I was told the following

The old gas in the tank left a coating around the inner part of the tank and the new gas is removing that coating and pulling it up through the carb and clogging the jets. I removed the carb and removed the jet and sprayed the entire thing with carb cleaner and it hasn't been able to run since. What can I do to fix this.

Help and Sorry about the long message.
Nick

Cyanide

what i would do is add a new diaphragm and soak the tank in acetone not carb cleaner then put back together and make sure fuel pick up tubes are clear and not clogged with anything

I recently replaced the diaphragm and the carb was soaking in something, I just called it carb cleaner because of a lack of a better word. What is the best way to make sure the pickup tubes are clean and clear. Also, are both tubes supposed to have a screen on the bottom preventing debris and dirt from coming up the tubes?

Thanks for the advice
Nick