5 horse ignition points to CDI

Hey guys, I have a real low hours 5 horse flat head, It is super clean. I am going to run a billet rod with some other modifacations. My question is this...It has points. I would like to convert to CDI. Can this be a simple conversion? Thanks for your help

Motra

All you really need is a newer style coil. If you want to do it the best way, you remove the points and condensor and plug the points plunger hole in the block. Briggs sells a plug just for that, I can get you the part number if you want.

Go to your local small engine shop and buy the new style coil or go online....the kit comes with everything u need to convert to CDI and plug the hole. its very simple to install and a new coil is always a plus.

-Andrew

Just steal the newer style coil off a lawnmower. If your going to mod it tho it would be better to keep the points so you can adjust spark duration.

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk

You can also just cut the wires off outside the points cover and leave everything intact as it is under the cover.. The points clicking won't cause ya any problem any more than they did when you were using them..

If your going to mod it tho it would be better to keep the points so you can adjust spark duration.
A lot of folks don't realize that points are AWESOME when maintained. Sucky part is dealing with the flywheel. The coil# posted above is what you want. Bolt on and go. Kill wire only. Good luck.

Thanks everybody for the help, I am not very familiar with the briggs engine. So Your advice is very appreciated. Maybe I'll put some pics of the build here. thanks again!