6.5hp DB30 remote mount tank

Sure, Custom built aluminum or retro style round tanks rule with the bling factor, But here are some pics of my latest R&D project. This is an affordable option for the DB30 6.5hp engine installs that I feel really cleans up the look of the bike by getting rid of the bulky tanks.
And re-fueling it never has been easier. It does use the smaller 2.8 tank. This might be a problem for those who want to ride non-stop for hours. But will work for guys like me that are ok with 1/2 hour or more of continuous run time or Mini drag bike DB projects.
Doing this also gets the tank off the engine where the fuel gets heated up. Tell me what you guys think. I may be offering a kit for this soon on the Baja Doodlebug,Dirtbug Performance and Repair parts web site. Side covers would also be easy to fab up to totally hide the tank for an even cleaner look.

Looks like a cool idea..What I really like is the chain/clutch cover :punk:...Any plans of selling those?

Oops never mind..I see your other add.:doah:

Last edited:
Front rim and tire are off the rear of a X-1 pocket bike. The bearings are the same size and you can use the disc system for a front brake system too. You use the X-1 rear caliper mount and drill the fork tube. The rear tire is a slick tire for a cateye pocket bike. Scooterparts4less sells them along with the x-1 rims and tires.The caliper mount may be harder to find, but there are lots of junk pocket bikes laying around to scavenge parts off too.
About the only good thing on them was there wheels and tires.

cxbra

It looks like you have to remove the seat each time you add fuel is this correct ? :smile:
Nope. He built a hinge system attached to the front of the seat, then lifts up the back of the seat to access the gas tank.

Wow, I really like that bike. That front wheel sets it off, im really going to have to do that! Right now im 100% stock (fenderless, flat black frame,flat black wheels, flat black sprocket and stock glossy red bars.. she looks killer!) My plans are,
1. 6.5 swap, new chain, possibly stock gearing (then work on increasing revs later)
2. Front 8-10" wheel swap. I love that, it must handle turns a lot better due to less tire-roll and more rim. Must feel more solid up front..
3. Then, hydro brakes after I get the bike past 30mph. Stock brakes are fine at stock top speeds.

That's right, The seat is hinged. I used Velcro for the seat latch and the L bracket attached to the seat itself keeps the seat centered and from wanting to move rearward stressing the hinge.

how much for just the hinge for the seat? my friend's DB with the pit bike engine needs something like that. he has to pull the seat to put gas in it.

You can find a suitable hinge as shown at the hardware store. Secure it with the one front bolt and an additional rivet or two to the seat. Buy a piece of 3' aluminum angle and Velcro to build the rear latch. Making up the brackets to hold the tank was the hardest part. You could also do a non-hinged removable seat using the same kind of aluminum angle bracket and Velcro on the front also. The angle brackets center the seat between the frame rails and keep the seat from slipping rear-wards

You need to work on one that fits on top of frame rails ,, yea I know ,, But it is an idea ,, you have done great on all the Mods so far

Custom built tanks are very cool. Building custom tanks is expensive. Even the weld in filler necks are pricey I wish we all had a source for an old school strapped round 1/2 gallon tank. I personally like the retro look it ads to a MB. As far as using the stock db30 gas tank goes... You are limited with the way it can be mounted. when mounting it under the seat as shown it pretty much has to sit under the frame rails. Its to wide to go between them or on top when mounted under the seat. The mounting as shown gives the clearance needed between the gas cap and bottom of seat too. This really is a inexpensive solution to the bulky eye-sore tank issues. For the cruiser look I also like the Motorized bike tanks with a shorter seat like other members are using. Those tanks are a
great Idea and inexpensive tank solution too.

That's right, The seat is hinged. I used Velcro for the seat latch and the L bracket attached to the seat itself keeps the seat centered and from wanting to move rearward stressing the hinge.
I was planning on putting my 5.5 B&S ohv in my new DB project and have to us a remote tank as I dont have the stock briggs, that is a great idea! I might use a smaller seat and use a teardrop motorized bike tank ($20 at spookytooth cycles $10 shipping) it fits pretty good but is a little farther back than I would like so I am glad to see an alternative method! Very cool!

gbabins1

If you're interseted in making and selling the brackets for the remote tank..... I'd buy one.... I like the look of the tank under the seat. I also purchased your motor mount for the clone.... works great, easy to install and thanks for the quick shipping.

I also would be interested in buying one of those Bracket kits. I already purchased that Performance Jackshaft kit and it works great. I also will be purchasing one of those motor mount kits later this month. Thanks. :smile:

Thanks Guys!
I am currently looking into getting the bracket's into production. I will post a thread and shoot you guys a PM when there done.

gas tank mod

my question is, what is holding the gas tank on? thanks