69' Bonaza mini chopper - new to forum!

hello fella's and fillet's.

This is a bit long but "WE" are excited about this project and as excited that there is a community like OldMiniBikes that share "OUR" enthusiasm. A few questions are inline! All suggestions and advice are appreciated.

Funny story. I had a pressure washer with a 5.5 OHV Tec. and the pump went out after one season and very few hours. I looked into a rebuilt kit and it looked time consuming and not worth the effort. I looked in to a new pump and it was nearly as much as a new unit so I bought a new unit (different brand pump of course).

So, while looking for something to mount my idle 5.5 hp horz shaft on, I found a 1969 Bonanza mini chopper on craigslist. The funny part of the story is, with 1.3 million people in San Antonio, Tx, my uncle was the one listing the bike. The bad thing about that is, I felt bad and didn't want to low ball him. I paid $100 for the rolling chassis w new tires pictured in the attachement. I don't think that's a bad deal. My 7 and 9 yr old are excited (perhaps not as much as me).

After pulling the plastic gas tank and muffler off of the motor, I nearly got it to fit in the frame. I will have to get a new air filter to replace the big boxed filter. It's tight but it looks great in there! I'm hoping after I get a new airfilter, I can get the mounts to line up. I need to get a carb kit too. The float bowl and float look clean but something is sticking and fuel starts pouring out of the carb after about a minute of idle.

Anyone ever put an OHV on one of these? The triangulated frame makes it difficult but I'm almost sure I can work it in there. I only understand the basic concepts of the internal combustion but not so much the different between a flat head and OHV. Does one have more torque, RPM, anything?

The wheel sprocket is on the right side. I wanted to find a new jack shaft and mount the motor w the engine shaft on the left and pull start on the right. But the little aluminum box on the top of the head labeled "OHV" hits the frame so I may have to mount it opposite (it's okay - one of my kids is left handed). Can the rear wheel be reversed or the sprocket mounted on the opposite side to utilize the jackshaft?

Any cons (besides fitment) of using the OHV?

Last question. Any way to confirm the date on this thing? I can't find any markings.

Glad I found you! Hope to hear from you! I think I have a little jewel and "WE" are excited to get it on the road!

tomsprops

That's a great find . The Bonanza guy's go Banana's over these Choppers .What ever you do to make your engine fit don't cut any thing on the frame . Or the same guy's will really go BANANA'S ! The Tec OHV is that a Powersport engine ? I think those might be a lil taller than the honda clone engines you can get from Harbor frieght .
That Chopper came with a Tec flathead engine which would be a great way to restore it . But the OHV engines put out a lot more power for the $$.
Look over at minidoodle.com to see what it looked like originally . Enjoy :thumbsup:

I had some issues on my Bonanza (non chopper) with running a 5.0 Honda GC motor and I made some 1/2" plates that moved the motor 1" farther forward (and 1/2" higher) and everything cleared, Maybe see if you could slide the motor forward to gain more clearance.

LK

Welcome, thats a great bike:thumbsup: And you took full advantage of your uncle. Take your time with your new bike. It's special.

The wheel sprocket is on the right side. I wanted to find a new jack shaft and mount the motor w the engine shaft on the left and pull start on the right. But the little aluminum box on the top of the head labeled "OHV" hits the frame so I may have to mount it opposite (it's okay - one of my kids is left handed). Can the rear wheel be reversed or the sprocket mounted on the opposite side to utilize the jackshaft?
Am I missing something? Are you saying that you will turn the engine around? Are you looking for reverse only? LOL.

Awesome! Do it right!

What a great project to work on with your son! I'm doing the same with a second one, but I'm putting it together with the Tecumseh HS40 4 hp engine that most of them came with. But the newer OHV's run and start pretty nice, and you use what you've got cause everyone wants to get riding! Looks like you have a very complete roller. Here's some pics of mine that I've had since 1970...helps to see how they were set up, what was used for throttle and clutch cover, etc... I think mine shown might be a year older than yours because it came without the jackshaft setup and is a 1969 model. I also have one like yours with a jackshaft that I'm working on for my boy.

As others have said, the engine drive shaft will have to be on the left unless you want to run in reverse, or have some expensive gear train to reverse the shaft rotation at the jackshaft...The top of the chain is always moving forward to move the bike forward, regardless of whether the wheel sprocket is on the left or right.

I deserved that!

I deserved that! In fun, I made a fool of one of my co-workers. I'm a programmer but a guy over in the help desk area, sent an email to a user asking her if she needed her network hub replaced that burned out. I "replied all" to the email and publicly let him know that she couldn't answer the email w/o the hub so go replace it and ask her again! Who said there's no such think as Karma? I'm glad he didn't see me hop on my new mini bike and ride it around the block in reverse! Shaft on left! LOL Got it! :eek:ut:

I will not cut the frame. I will manage 'squeezing' her in there w/o any frame mods. I may take alwhite's advice and make a conversion plate to slide the motor forward but I'll have to wait until I replace the airfilter first and see if that does the trick. The mounts line up so close.

I lied about the engine. It's actually a 5 hp OVH Tecumseh Enduro. Not 5.5. The shaft is tapered. Hopefully that means I have more options on the clutch.

It has a rather "delicate" looking throttle assembly on it now. It looks like the same one that northern offers for a little less than $11. I'll probably pick a few of those assemblies and extra left hand grips up til the kids get used to the rake! Northern also offers two different jackshaft assemblies. I wonder if either will work out of the box..? anyone know? Northerns jackshaft assemblies

Not looking for an original machine. The boys and I wanna ride it. Perhaps when they're out of the house and I'm too old, I'll got that route.

Thanks for the words. Not sure why the unc sold it. He advertised it for $100. Said he paid $60 for the frame and picked up the tires for $20 each. Said he just wanted his money back.

Great soot mark! I may steal your idea of orange (or is that an original color?). high Visibility. I've seen it on the web somewhere while querying BONANZA mini chopper

Last edited:
I think with that tapered shat you will have a lot less options for a clutch. (not sure but I usually see straight shaft stuff) - Not sure how much room you have but you might be able to run the clutch on the jackshaft.

LK

No biggie!

They're no big deal..I have my arm resting on one of them as I type this...
Yeah.. no biggie! I've been seeing them everywhere now that I know what they are! :thumbsup:

I've mocked everything up except the power transfer. I remember as a kid that my gokarts had different size shafts/clutches but I don't remember anything about a tapered shaft.

I'm trying to find a sprocket that will work with someone's previous suggestion to mount the sprocket on the engine shaft and the clutch on the jacksaft.

It's easy!

Yes, the standard jackshaft kits should work. The hole in your jackshaft mount is sized for the standard bearing that Bonanza used on their 5/8 inch jackshafts. These bearings come with a snap ring to prevent them from falling outward. Collars are used to prevent them from moving inward on the jackshaft. I believe the original centrifugal clutches on these bikes had 12 teeth, and the jackshafts had at least one 12 tooth sprocket on it. The rear wheel sprocket is a 72 tooth and the rear wheel diameter is a little large, 15.3 inches for the 530 X 4.50 X 6 inch tire the choppers run. So if you stay using both 12 tooth sprockets on the jackshaft, you will run the same as a bike without a jackshaft, like the 1969 models that didn't come with the jackshaft. They are a little slow to take off because of the large rear tire diameter, but have good (but not suicidal) top speed. Easy enough to make a gearing adjustment with the jackshaft sprockets if you want more low end.

As for color, most or all of the Bonanza mini choppers came in the bright orange frame with chrome forks and sissy bar. It was a baked on paint or possibly powder coat. I have found that the Dupli color hi temp engine paint in Chrysler Hemi Orange is a very good choice to make it look original. But spray paint is certainly not as durable. But at about $5 for a spray can, I'm not too upset when the little chips happen. That's the spray paint on my bike in my avatar picture.

The raked forks make these bikes pretty akward to turn for big riders. I have to keep my knees out from under the handlebars to turn. But it is a very comfortable mini bike for straight line riding! And if you're substituting engines, consider a cylindrical tank up front by the forks, there's a little tab there to hang one from. They really look great and can solve some clearance problems with OHV engines. The CR 500 that came with an 11 hp Hodaka Ace 100 motorcycle engine with 5 speeds used the frame mounted cylinder tank. Bayareaburrito on this site has a beautiful CR 500 with that tank. Here's a picture to drool over! I do. For more great views, look at his photo album on this site. And here's a picture of the tank I'm going to get chromed and use on my boy's bike, in mock up. This frame had been repainted red before I got it, somebody painted over the stock orange.

Almost Ready to Rumble

I'm just about ready for my So. TX to Sturgis roadtrip on the Bonanza. ( BULL :001_9898: ) The drive line is in place. The motor has been bench tested and all systems are nearly GO!

I know I have some time but I'll never be able to feel the Black Hills wind in my face if I can't find a gas tank. ( more BULL :001_9898: ) I'm trying to find a tank and straps and I'm having no luck. Anyone got one laying around that they'd like to sell?

Hopefully I don't get the same reaction from the Bonanza purist as I did from the Vintage Ford purist when I put a "BOLT ON" AirRide system on my Granny's Survivor 63 Thunderbird. But on the chopper, I went with a flat black frame with red and white pin stripes and chrome forks and sissy bar. I covered the remolded seat with a peice of scrap brown leather and I have enough leather to cover the hand grips! I will snap some shots as soon as I find that fuel tank!

Gas tank anyone?

Cylindrical gas tank

Here's what will strap to that mount up front near the fork trees.:

vintage minibike go kart motorcycle engine gas tank :eBay Motors (item 280446624245 end time Jan-10-10 15:59:56 PST)

I paid more for an unpainted one that I'm hoping to get chromed. Hard to find a new one like it in polished aluminum...

These guys might be able to make you one with the fill at the very end:

Vintage Kart Aluminum Seat Back Fuel Tank w/ valve NEW:eBay Motors (item 200422965797 end time Jan-05-10 20:08:05 PST)

Bike sounds great, lookin forward to the pictures.

You have a very nice bike. It's a CR 500. It came with a Hodaka ACE 100 engine on it. The orange is the original color. The sissy bar and forks should both be chromed. Don't even think about cutting the jackshaft mounts off :mad::mad2::cursing:eek:r else us Bonanza lovers will hate you!!!! I wouldn't use the ohv instead get a hodaka or a good old flathead off craigslist for as little as 20 bucks.