72 Rupp Hustler, weird combo with paperwork.

It won't be too long before it is for sale. I want to get it running, riding and stopping first. I'll probably put Hustler decals on the tank to avoid confusion later too.
If it was me, I'd leave it just like it is. Any time you have a chance to preserve a piece of history like that, you should do it. It demonstrates the goofy and oddball things that took place at the time.
I mess with old tractors, and hit and miss engines too. There were plenty of units that were made with spare parts, and pieces from different production runs....all kids of things like that. While it's unlikely this bike rolled off the production line like that, it was delivered to a customer that way. My vote is to get it running, and sell it like it is. It tells a story that most other Rupps cannot.

My 2 cents.
Joe

Thank you Joe.
I got it running and rode it a couple times. It needs some things before I feel comfortable selling it. I ordered $100 worth of stuff from Black Widow. Once I get the parts installed I'll try selling it as is without restoring it. I'm just replacing worn out parts that are there now. I'm not changing it from the way it was built or sold.

Danford1

Well it has been almost two months since I started this thread. Here is a brief update.
I Did order new Hustler decals and new clutch cover decals but have not put them on. I will give them to the buyer when I sell it. He/she can do what they want with them.
I put on new footpeg rubber, new rear shock bushings, spark plug, cleaned the carb, tightened a few loose bolts and adjusted the brakes. Very minor stuff.
It runs great and rides great. I've been riding it up and down the street whenever I got a chance. It starts well and idles well.
So... as expected... I'm selling it.
It is still in the original barn find condition as I got it. I didn't paint it or remove any debris. I noticed the rear fender is cracked and it is missing the bottom attachment for the clutch cover. It isn't perfect but it is a nice original bike.
Yes I agree the build sheet is from another minibike, not this one. The other paperwork matches the frame and engine numbers.
The owners manuals are included.
As mentioned above, it is a late 71 engine on a 72 Hustler with a Roadster2 gas tank sold in 73.
$750 to first person with the money.
I'll probably put an ad in the classified section when I get a chance. Right now I have to go work on a car :-(

Danford1

Not to steal this thread, It's an interesting one and Danford provided me some info I needed, Thanks! just curious on the engine ID tag..
I am attaching a pic of original Rupp shroud tags. Top and bottom tag ID's are..
Top: Model HS40-55356C
Serial 1131B

Bottom: Model HS40-55356C
Serial 1102B

My questions to the experts is the alignment of the letters & numbers. My tags go pretty much left to right. Pic's in this thread show a different order. Did they very? Are my tags Rupp correct? I am mapping out a possible repo tag for our resto's. Thought I had it but noticed a difference from Danford's pics an my tags. Just trying to understand.
Thanks you!
Joe51

capguncowboy

Not to steal this thread, It's an interesting one and Danford provided me some info I needed, Thanks! just curious on the engine ID tag..
I am attaching a pic of original Rupp shroud tags. Top and bottom tag ID's are..
Top: Model HS40-55356C
Serial 1131B

Bottom: Model HS40-55356C
Serial 1102B

My questions to the experts is the alignment of the letters & numbers. My tags go pretty much left to right. Pic's in this thread show a different order. Did they very? Are my tags Rupp correct? I am mapping out a possible repo tag for our resto's. Thought I had it but noticed a difference from Danford's pics an my tags. Just trying to understand.
Thanks you!
Joe51

The tags in your pictures are from 1971 models. That's the format Tecumseh used until they switched it in 1972. After the switch, the numbering was stamped instead of embossed and the numbers weren't always aligned. Sometimes, they weren't aligned at all.

My 71 Roadster 2 has a diaphragm carb instead of a bowl like your Hustler. It seems to be the same engine. Is the bowl or diaphragm original?
I can't really answer when Rupp used float or diaphragm carbs. I can say that this Hustler came with the float carb when sold.
I know some years/models had a diaphragm carb just don't know which.
Maybe a Rupp expert can help with your question.

Danford1

markus

My 71 Roadster 2 has a diaphragm carb instead of a bowl like your Hustler. It seems to be the same engine. Is the bowl or diaphragm original?
Diaphragm carbs were used early 1971 still-only the first few months at most, The engine number I have recorded that used them are the 55331c for a Roadster2 and 55330c for Hustler/enduro. I never knew they used them in '71 myself till some other members were nice enough to share some info on some true survivor bikes they had and posted the info/photos up awhile back. Then shortly after that I got to redo one totally for someone:

it should have the earlier style throttle controls with the bolt on bell crank/arm and the tag is raised letters at that time, All of them I have seen now were January-ish 1971.

Update. The Hustler has been sold. The new owner was excited to get one with paperwork and all the original parts still on it. He was happy and so was I. It went to a good home :)

Danford1

Hi Dan,

Yes I am really happy with the bike. Thank you for taking the time out explaining everything to me. Also for taking the clutch cover off so we could look at the clutch. The bike did go to a good home. :)

John

Excellent John, glad to hear that. No problem on taking the cover off. I do what I can for my customers :)
Has your son been riding it a lot? He looked like he was anxious to get home and ride it.
Are you going to restore it this winter or leave it as it is?

Danford1

PS I bought two more Rupp project bikes today :)

Last edited:
Hi Dan, I think I will leave it as original, but go over it and replace what might need replacing. Yes my son has been riding it even in this cold snap we have had. LOL

Hi Dan,
An update, I got a headlight with the orginal wire harness for a roadster2. I am going to install so it can be ridden at night. Once I get it installed I'll post some pics. :)

eBay
I paid a little more than I wanted to, but having the ability to ride at night will be a plus. The switch looks good and I checked with a volt meter for functionality.

The other minibike I have is a MTD trail flite. Model # 364-650
Motor tag is HS40-55393E
Orange color, all lights work.

Sent from my iPhone using OldMiniBikes