75 Rupp Magenta paint code needed

I'm restoring a 75 Rupp Roadster2 and need the correct paint code for the Magenta color. I asked Jim at Black Widow but he didn't know. He said find an original spot on the minibike and have it read by a paint camera at a paint store. Before I go and do something like that, I thought I would ask here. I can't be the first person to ever restore one on these...

What is the correct paint code for the Rupp Magenta color?

Thanks
Danford1

I'd like to know what color the other people used when they restored their 73-75 roadster2's.... I CAN"T be the first and only guy in the world to paint and restore one.

Danford1

No, Not the purple. In 73-75 Roadster2's had a Magenta color. It isn't listed in the color chart above.
You can find pictures of Magenta colored minibikes, but I can't find the color code for it.

Here is a copy/paste from Wikipedia
"73-76 Rupp minibikes saw even more cutbacks to the lineup in 1973. The only bike that remained was the newly designed Roadster, stylized as the Roadster II. It continued to use a Tecumseh HS40 but with a larger blower housing. It came in two color options, brown and magenta. It continued to use 12" wheels on Rupp Trials tires, with 24 spokes only. Rupp sold their last minibikes in 1976".

Hereare a couple pictures.

Danford1

Last edited:

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
I thought I would try some research. I used 1975 as a starting point.

I doubt Rupp mixed their own paint so I Started with Chrysler, Then Dodge, nether one of these had Magenta paint on cars this year.

So I moved on, Ford gave me this color

Another was from ACI Paints

I moved on, To What I felt the Color is and hit up one of my FAV car makers AMC

The Color is called Wild Plum < I Can't remember the paint code

Edit: found it ; code is D9 or PPG 2402

Last edited:
bikebudy, that is good detective work but Rupp switched to it in 73. Can you check the 73 colors ? So far the Gremlin does look close.

Thanks for the research Thus far.

Danford1

Danford, Cory, did a good job of ferretting out that AMC color. Looks like it was Fresh Plum, PPG 2495 in 1973, but same color. Dupont is 5525. I found that depending on where you live, (VOC) sometimes you can only get them in a base coat (two stage) formula, requiring a clear coat.

No matter what coating you get now, either single or two stage, the paint itself is different stuff and it goes on with a lot more gloss than original enamel.

I'd try a "Ful cryl" sample from Dupont. PPG is most likely going to give you a base coat, clear coat and will cost more.

Didn't want to steal Cory's thunder here, but I am always interested in paint conversations.

Hey one more thing; even though Rupp used a magenta color in 75, it still could have been based off of a code from years earlier.

Kudos to Cory (Bike buddy) as he is good at this stuff.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
I should have explained more, In 75 there were no matches for Magenta I could find.

So I kept going backward in year. The AMC Wild Plum color was only used for two years that I can tell ( 1971-72 )

Now Porsche used a Magenta But, I think it only comes close.

P.s. I think the F3 Fresh Plum is a little light in color, but that is just my opinion.

BTW, You can still get spray bomb touch up paint in the D9 color from the AMC Jeep dealer OR NAPA

Dave is correct also, PPG will most likely need a clear coat.

I stated the PPG # because it could be crossed into a one stage Urethane based paint.
Which is like todays enamel .

Last edited:
P.s. I think the F3 Fresh Plum is a little light in color, but that is just my opinion.

BTW, You can still get spray bomb touch up paint in the D9 color from the AMC Jeep dealer OR NAPA
I painted the F3 on a 67 Chevy C10 my son and I restored in 1991. It was way more purple than what is shown on my computer monitor. And as you know, almost nothing on a computer monitor looks like it does on the paint chip, or when you open the can.

The AMC Gremlin shown on the F3 photo comparison is the exact same car and color posted on the earlier D9. So I don't know how it could lighter based on the views.

Just because a mini cycle company calls a color "Magenta" does not mean any car MFGR used the term. We find this on everything from mini bikes to motorcycles, where jobbers created paint jobs with whatever was commercially available at the time. Cat's color choices come to mind in their "Flamboyant" series.

I'll bow out now. I'm not here to self-aggrandize. It's a repaint. With modern paints, you're never going to recreate an original anyway.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Yes, your right about that, colors on computers WILL differ, its just a starting point.

Danford1 , Go into NAPA and ask for the paint books for 70 - 73 AMC , look at Magenta / Plum colors.

I'm sure you will be happy with what you find.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I paint cars and I like base/clear paints. If a color has any metallic in it, I wouldn't use a single stage because you can't sand and buff metallics very well. I like clear as it can be sanded and buffed. By the way my favorite clear is made by SPI (Southern Polyurethane Inc) They make GREAT clears. Their Universal clear is hard to beat. I use a lot of it.

Danford1

Danford, I knew the veterans on this site would investigate your question and give you some answers. Hopefully it will get you on your way and put some paint on that Rupp. :thumbsup:

What are you using for the decals on the gas tank?
\

I bought all the decals for it from Black Widow Motorsports. I have all the torque converter cover decals, gas tank, engine and front and rear fender stripe decals.
I bought a lot of stuff from Black Widow. I'm restoring 2 Rupps :) The other one is a 72 Scrambler.
I have it in the build off section just haven't updated anything yet. I'll do that later this week.

Danford1

#15711B 1971-75 TC DECAL SET

#45012 73 ROADSTER II DECAL SET

#45012F FENDER DECAL SET, 1973 ROADSTER II, - SILVER, (2 decals)

#17686A RUPP ENGINE DECAL SET 1971-75

Here is a link to all decals.

Decals

Last edited:
Yes. I like the color a lot. I'm away from home for a week so no updates on any of my builds until I return.
I'm anxious to paint the Rupp the Gremlin color but I just can't rust the paint process. I still have a lot of sandblasting to do before I can Think about the epoxy and then the primer before the base and clear.

Danford1