A better spark plug....because?

My spark plug was giving a dim spark but consistent.

I bought a Bosch, checked it, and spark is stronger/brighter and I thought would this help performanace, the strength of a spark? I thought an explosion would be equal no matter what size spark but depending on how much fuel to feed the explosion?

125ccCrazy

on a stock engine you wont notice much difference in power, you start worrying about hotter spark when you start pumping more fuel in the engine, upping compression ect... I haven't verified it yet but I read where the stock spark plug boot has a resistor in it that reduces spark, by removing that and putting a regular rubber boot and end on the wire helps with better spark and consistency in spark..

I put 8mm Taylor spirol core plug wires on all my coils, those cheap stock wires are stiff and have higher resistance...

its true they do have a resistor is so the engines dont cause electrical interferences with the toaster tv microwave ect removeing it will make for a strger spark

Oldsalt

I mess with old engines many of which were built before 1915. Many have magnetos of the type that are driven by the engine and are not the type that is used in the small engines we use on minibikes. The old type have 'horseshoe magnets' with an spinning armature, the kind we deal with has the magnet in the flywheel and the coil is stationary. Both types are true magnetos and have the same rules of operation. With all that said, allow me to say this: Never use anything but solid conductor wire with a magneto. The resistor type wire is for coil type ignition as found on cars. If in fact some Briggs engines have a resistor in the plug boot it would be reasonable to believe that the factory knows what they are doing. If the plug wire is solid strand and not automotive resistor type don't use it unless you like experimenting.

125ccCrazy

Never use anything but solid conductor wire with a magneto. The resistor type wire is for coil type ignition as found on cars. If in fact some Briggs engines have a resistor in the plug boot it would be reasonable to believe that the factory knows what they are doing. If the plug wire is solid strand and not automotive resistor type don't use it unless you like experimenting.
The Taylor wires I been using have a thin metal wire spirol wound around a fiber center core.... as far as the resistor boots, only reason for those as far I know is radio interference same as car wires that are suppresion core (carbon center)..

Oldsalt

The Taylor wires I been using have a thin metal wire spirol wound around a fiber center core.... as far as the resistor boots, only reason for those as far I know is radio interference same as car wires that are suppresion core (carbon center)..
The fiber core, rather than useing solid copper wire is the problem as I understand it. Unless the mag is designed for automotive type [point ignition or electronic ignition] resistance wire it is usually containdicated for use with any magneto. I have never seen a reccomendation, with the magnetos I have worked with, that called for resistor wires. Infact it is warned against. Do what you like, of course, but you will be experimenting if the engine did not come stock with fiber core wire.

Resistor spark plug wires (and spark plugs) were developed to minimize radio interference. As long as that is not a concern go with Oldsalts advice. Good wire, good spark for our needs. Typical magneto interference goes about 25' - 50 ' from the source.

apekd

If you think about it, IMHO, upgrading to a newer wire will help you burn all of your fuel really. Like I learned in auto class in highschool and college. More power to the plug, more spark, more heat, equals better, faster, more efficient burn. I did soooo many OBD tests on our test 08 Mustang that proves it. get the right plug gap, the right amount of fuel for the load, or RPM, and the spark will be consistent and burn all of the fuel.
I agree with the fact of changing the plug wire and i plan on doing it soon. Plug wires can be a big performance stopper. Whats the point of having, say, 1K invested in the motor for race use, but using a stock plug and wire? Like I say, better to be over-prepared than not prepared at all. Just my $.02 worth really.

Oldsalt

If you think about it, IMHO, upgrading to a newer wire will help you burn all of your fuel really. Like I learned in auto class in highschool and college. More power to the plug, more spark, more heat, equals better, faster, more efficient burn. I did soooo many OBD tests on our test 08 Mustang that proves it. get the right plug gap, the right amount of fuel for the load, or RPM, and the spark will be consistent and burn all of the fuel.
I agree with the fact of changing the plug wire and i plan on doing it soon. Plug wires can be a big performance stopper. Whats the point of having, say, 1K invested in the motor for race use, but using a stock plug and wire? Like I say, better to be over-prepared than not prepared at all. Just my $.02 worth really.
Did the 08 Mustang have a Vertex or Hunt magneto?

OK without sounding like a geek, as a amateur radio operator, I can say without a doubt that the resistor wires are for radio and TV interference. With that being said, depending on the ohms from one end to the other is what the resistance is. Whether it will make a difference or not who knows. Come to think of it, aren't most OEM plugs resistor plugs?? Meaning the plugs have the resistors built in??

no it had neither on it haha

but im sticking to what I said still. If you can get more power to the plug, then do it. I personally dont give much of a rats butt about radios and tvs and such. with everything going digital now-a-days those signals really arent affected.

Oldsalt

Well, maybe you are right. Guess I'd best switch to resistor wires to get more power to the plugs so it will burn all the fuel. There is more than 1K in this engine so why should I go second best?

i hope i dont fan the flames but fiber wire should never be used with mags it will cut the voltage (think like 20000 volts)to the plug down and make the motor run like crap . now on coil set ups the voltage is much much (think like 100000 volts) higher to make use of the fiber wire .24-8776 - 5MM Spark Plug Wire, 10'Coil use this on small motors with mags , fiber core goes on cars and cars only . a good example of why not to mix them a few years ago i built a coil driver for a sparker it was set up for copper wire and it got changed to fiber we had noting but problems with it till i realized the i used the wrong wire and changed it then all was golden .

Ive used a fiber wire on a lawn mower before (lol) and it ran perfectly fine. I chopped up a old wire off my old civic and about 10 minutes later it ran great.

125ccCrazy

The Taylor wires I been using have a stainless steel wire spirol wound with a silicone jacket.... my spark is about as blue as you can get...engines run great..

Oldsalt

i hope i dont fan the flames but fiber wire should never be used with mags it will cut the voltage (think like 20000 volts)to the plug down and make the motor run like crap . now on coil set ups the voltage is much much (think like 100000 volts) higher to make use of the fiber wire .24-8776 - 5MM Spark Plug Wire, 10'Coil use this on small motors with mags , fiber core goes on cars and cars only . a good example of why not to mix them a few years ago i built a coil driver for a sparker it was set up for copper wire and it got changed to fiber we had noting but problems with it till i realized the i used the wrong wire and changed it then all was golden .
I have the tools and magnet charging coils and books and etc. so I can do my own magneto work. Been doing it for years and have to say I'm beginning to know what I'm doing. Thought I'd save someone a bit of trouble by not haveing to learn the hard way so I posted saying it's a bad idea. But as you can see, it's a futile effort.

I have a bosch plug where no gap adjustment needed. Its longer than the one belonging on my 5 hp briggs. would putting a spacer on it until the length is equal with the one that belongs, work? Has any one tried this before.

The were around ten for 2, but dont have use for the one, so I was trying to make use of it.

Oldsalt

I have a bosch plug where no gap adjustment needed. Its longer than the one belonging on my 5 hp briggs. would putting a spacer on it until the length is equal with the one that belongs, work? Has any one tried this before.

The were around ten for 2, but dont have use for the one, so I was trying to make use of it.
No telling what the heat range of the plug would be if a spacer is used so that it has the same threaded length as the proper plug. On the other hand, a stock 5 HP Briggs, like all the rest of the simular engines, have such a low compression ratio it's doubtful if anything would happen if the resulting heat range happened to be way too hot. That is, unless you decide to use kerosene for fuel pre-ignition probably won't be present. If way too cold [rather unlikely useing the spacer] there's a chance of fouling.