A lighting case

Ok, so I have this nice headlight that I ultimately want to put on my terra torque. It is a nice chrome shell with a push button and toggle switch on the back. Additionally, there is a red wire and blue wire coming out of the shell for wiring up the headlight. I have a lighted H50 with three wires, green, red, and black. I know that the green is my kill switch wire and I already have that hooked up. The on the engine my red is my positive and the black is the negative (ground). So I figure I need to hook up the red from the engine to the red from the headlight, but what do I do with the black on the engine and the blue on the headlight? I opened up the headlight and noted that there is a yellow wire grounding the bulb to the shell. I also noted a number of black wires hooked to the switches and mostly to the blue wire, with I think one going to the red. Anyone have any ideas of what I do witht he black engine wire and blue headlight wire? I want to make sure I have it all hooked up correctly as I do not want to burn anything out. I took some pictures which are attached. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
I assume no one has given the answer a shot simply because its hard to tell from the photos... The red could be pos & the blue neg or BOTH could be positive and the ground comes from mounting to the frame. What makes this difficult is that you have two switches. I assume one is a on/off master switch and the other could be a high/low beam. Without looking and following the pos / neg logic I can not say for sure. I'd suggest you take better detailed photos so one of the guys can follow all the wires. Sorry, that's the best I could do...

They are probably a hot and a return about like a battery with your green kill..... Some are two hots and one kill, but a lot of those are bare ended wires that attach to a fuse panel on the side of the motor and were in 1963 wheel horse tractors and stuff... :wink:

george3

I need to see every wire and be able to follow it in one pic. this is a must to see the full circuit. looks possable that the housing may be ground. and two hots, why I am not sure. low and high. need to see the full circuit.

Last edited:
Yeah I know, I just haven't had time yet, but I plan on getting a good pic up tonight. I worked with it a bit with my dad and we have figured a few things out, but something remains unsolved. I will get some better pics tonight and explain further.

Ok, so here should be some better pics. We figured out last night that the push button (the small black box toward the bottom of the picture with one wire coming out of each end), is the on/off switch. It would seem that the toggle switch would then be a hi/low, but when toggled, it did not appear to open/close the circuit, the only switch that appeared to impact whether or not the circuit was open/closed was the push button. Now, it also seemed that ultimately, the blue wire mystery was not completely solved. Could the toggle switch still be a hi/low and no so much open/close a circuit, but more so regulate the amount of current passing through to impact the brightness of the lights? We had figured that a high/low would shut off about half the power to the light in order to dim it. I also am still unsure of what I ultimately need to do with the black wire coming off the engine, does that need to be grounded to the frame? If a close up is needed of a certain part of the light let me know. Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Well, from what I see it looks like the on/off is being fed by the red and will kill the lights plus kills the blue wire which may be for feeding a brake light or other acc. The high/low switch appears to kill the third filament which is likely the high beam. I'd say hot up the red and check for voltage on the blue, then you'll know if what I see is right. No doubt if that is the case, the ground for the lights is coming from the mounting & not the blue wire... If you have any doubts, hook up an in-line fuse so it will blow before your light. Good luck! Don

Well I hooked up the hot wire from the engine to the red and the light works great. The push button is the on/off switch, and then the toggle appears to switch the light between two different filaments. When I switch it only the left is on, and then when I switch it back only the right is on. I wonder if I should be hooking up the blue wire to the hot lead as well and that might be the other part of the high beam that currently is not working. Would that make sense or no?