Alsport survivor score

I fixed the buckets up so they are both useable now. Some fiberglass, JB weld & bondo. I'll worry about the pretty part later, maybe.:laugh: Made a seat from what I believe to be the original seat. Not real positive because none of the snaps line up.:eek:ut: Today I tackled the rear differential. Learn something new every day. Thanks for the help Gumpit. This was the extra one that came with the bike. Everything looked great on the inside. Cleaned it up a little and put back together. One of the bolts are snapped so I will need to pick up another. Now that I have a clue what I'm doing, I will check out the rear assembly that is on the trike.:thumbsup:
Before

After: Not a great photo.

The other bucket with new seat.

That's looking great Karen, both body and seat ! And good job on the differential too.

Did you by any chance take any pictures of the fiberglass repair process ?

Thanks,

Robert

That's looking great Karen, both body and seat ! And good job on the differential too.

Did you by any chance take any pictures of the fiberglass repair process ?

Thanks,

Robert
Fiberglass is pretty easy. Hard to take photos because everything is sticky. lol. I wasn't to sure how to make the new lines. Thank you Rick (Catten63) for the tip. I just ran duck tape across the holes and did the fiberglass on the back. Just keep doing thin layers of the matting with the resin. Only mix a small amount at a time because it sets up fast. I use cheap brushes for the resin. I think I used 6 brushes doing the tubs. After the glass sets up you take the duck tape off. Then I did a little fiberglass on the front side and then smoothed with some bondo. Just make sure when you start that the old surface is clean and rough it up with 80g sand paper.

Thank you Karen...!

You took the D.I.Y. scare right out of it.

I have a new project that I have not posted about yet, and it's bucket needs major love too.....(seems a common theme with 45 year old trike buckets...:laugh: )

Now I am certain we'll try it ourselves. Recruiting my daughter to assist when I do.

Thanks

Last edited:
Great Job Karen first off working on both the mechanicals of the project and the cosmetics of the fiberglass. I will say Alsport did a crappie job using the heat molded plastic and some fiberglass on the back. Other companies like HP Muskin made the Cat bodies out of fiberglass thick and durable and offered different colors. Any word form Mr. Allen about the fender ?
Steve

Great Job Karen first off working on both the mechanicals of the project and the cosmetics of the fiberglass. I will say Alsport did a crappie job using the heat molded plastic and some fiberglass on the back. Other companies like HP Muskin made the Cat bodies out of fiberglass thick and durable and offered different colors. Any word form Mr. Allen about the fender ?
Steve
Hard to believe Mr. Allen is too busy for me.:laugh: Didn't here a word yet but I'm going to send another email.

Front end is all done. Straighten forks, welded fender bracket back on, new axel, spacers and bearings. Cleaned the bars up best I could. Starting on the rear assembly next.:thumbsup:

Took the other rear a part today. Had a little scare. Metal pieces fell out when I opened the cases.:eek: I guess a good thing was that it wasn't the gears. One of the axel bushings had desinigrated. Now to get that bushing off.:doah: Thank goodness for my new press. Second best tool I ever bought besides my air compressor.:laugh: Took a little bit but its "Out". This is the original rear that is on the trike. At least if I broke it, I have some back-up parts.:laugh:

Jamie1972

Sounds like the previous, previous, previous owners beat the balls off of it...!

But then again.....

That's why you bought these!
:thumbsup:
To ride countless hours and tank, after tank, after tank of gasoline

Only to head out the next day to do it all over again...!

Awesome.

wjustice

Every diff I've seen has been in rough shape. Dry and bushings in poor shape. Bad axle bearings contribute to the bushing wear. The use of the stamped bearing mounts that deform with the hard use doesn't help either. They added standard grease if they paid any attention to it. But replace the bushing, add about 3.5oz of bentonite and it will probably last a long time. Look at the bearing mounts. Most are soo deformed they can't hold the bearing steady allowing it to move enough to tear up the diff bushings.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk