And another briggs follows me home.

Picked up this little guy from my friends dad.. he had it sitting out in the rain so I just had to save it. I asked him how much and we agreed on $25. Rode there after work on my beach cruiser and managed to get it home by tying it to the top of the frame with my apron and balancing it with my hand. :lol: Haven't looked at the serial number yet but it's defiantly an old one. Don't really have a plan in mind other than tearing it down and cleaning up the eyebrows and ports, tec carb, arc rod, possibly a header.. I assume it's got the old points ignition so I'll update it with the the a new magneto. I'd like to go with a 3hp billet flywheel on this one just cause it's something I haven't done before.. oh and I'll run to ace eventually and pick up a set of those fancy allen head bolts to make it look fast. :doah: If im not in love with it by then I'll probably let her go to one of you guys, or let it sit untill another bad idea hits me... Turn 18 tomorrow and these little engines still get me all excited. :doah:

thanks buck, and yeah that was my guess too. Turns out She's a '79.. kinda a funky one too. the block is missing a corner near the cylinder and it looks like it's factory (viewable in last pic). And 5horse, I'm a tec carb fan too, thanks to our dear TRK I've been hooked for a few years now, they're all I run on my flatheads. I saw the video you posted, sounds nice :thumbsup:

I started some automotive archeology today and found out a few things. First thing I noticed was a decent sized spider hanging out on the magneto, and her babies were all over the place. luckily they weren't alive while I was riding home. There's also two hatched lizard eggs between the fins on the head.

Considering how much calcium and rust is all over this thing I'm surprised the flywheel came off so easily.. when I got it off I found that the flywheel key was sheared completely in half. So I moved and on got the exhaust, intake, and head off.. and I'll be dammed. the gaskets look somewhat fresh (don't worry im not gonna reuse them) and the cylinder looks like it has a fresh hone (hard to tell by the pic but the crosshatch is more visible in person than the vertical wear from the ring. I thought there was a bunch of carbon on the piston but one wipe with a rag and it all turned out to be sludge. the piston looks like it's brand new and shiny as well.

So my guess is that someone rebuilt the engine, hone, piston, a gasket or two, and upgraded to electronic ignition. Then used it for an hour and sheared the key somehow and said "screw it".. and then it became a motel for bugs and other small animals. it's got a dual pulley on it so it was probably on an edger or something that had a not so friendly contact with something hard and unmovable. :hammer:

That's all I got for today folks, looks like shes gonna be a GREAT runner when shes done.

Last edited: