Another 6.5 Doodlebug swap.

Very nice, love the chain gaurd. I love theat totally open rear sprocket too, none of our three came with one like that. I'd be soooo much nicer to have in order to air up the tire.

I forget the website where I ordered the sprocket. I know it was some kind of Karting supply house. It's a 72 tooth vs the original 60. I wanted more gear to help the clutch survive, and since this bike will serve mostly as a pit bike for trips to the drag strip, speed is not really a concern, as pit speed limits are around 15mph and mathmatically this bike can go 27mph I think. Plus I like to keep engine RPM up for a given speed so the clutch is fully engaged at lower speeds.
Unfortuantely the valvestem is behind the brake rotor. I have seen some DB30's with an open brake rotor that would allow access to the valvestem, but mine doesn't have it, nor have I been able to find one as a service part.

Your bug is sweet, you said the stock sprocket was a 60T? Some have 64T the ones I have been building have 70T. I'd like to hook up the 60T on mine for a top speed run :scooter:

Good job with the spring loaded chain roller and the aluminum chain gaurd. Keep posting pics as the project near completion

Yep, the 6.5hp conversion kits are still available

Nice Job. :thumbsup: I would have tucked the muffler inside the frame though, someone could bump into before it's cooled off. (Been there done that.)

nice chain guard! looks factory stock :thumbsup: good job
Thanks! We still have much more work to do on it. I want to try and find paint that matches as close to the engine and chassis as I can. If not, I will just paint it black.

Nice Job. :thumbsup: I would have tucked the muffler inside the frame though, someone could bump into before it's cooled off. (Been there done that.)
I would have liked to, but I also want to keep the factory fender, so it had to stay outside. If it becomes a problem, I will wrap it with some header wrap. It won't look great, but it won't be permenant.

Just a bit more about the chain guard. Its made from pieces of scrap aluminum we had laying around. The clutch cover started out as a cover from an old benchtop belt sander. just happned to be pretty close to the OD of the clutch bell. The rest is made from aluminum plate bent around to form a more complete clutch cover. The chain guard is simply a piece of aluminum angle with some work done on the bridgeport.

Did you make that exhaust pipe and muffler yourself? Looks good :thumbsup:
Thanks! Used the OE exhaust gasket as a template to make an exhaust flange out of some SS plate. Got some 5/8" SS weld els from McMaster-Car and then made a threaded tube to put a regular old hot-dog muffler on. Tigged it all up, sanded it smooth, but not polished, to give it a one-piece brushed look.

I tell you this thing is so much fun. We got a suprisingly good amount of use out of it as a Pit Bike at the track. Its easy to ride, starts on the first pull and is almost more fun than the race car.

It is one of the Cleaner swaps I have seen here , What is the plate under the engine ? adapter or spacer ? I agree with tucking the muffer under the frame ,, Post pics when you get it all done :scooter:

Just thought I'd update this old thread.

Added a TAV clone and a smaller rear sprocket. Engine is still stock other than exhaust pipe.

Raced a Honda 50 with it. I was told it had an 80cc upgrade kit on it. I don't know much about those bikes. We were running 1/8 mile.

This was my best ET for the day.

This was my best trap.