Any Recommendations for Paint Sprayer, brand?,type?

CaptNugget

im looking into getting a paint sprayer and was jus wondering if anyone could suggest one that would work well.
im sick of using rattle cans and jus want to get some good tools now..
any suggestions on brand? type? certain specs? size? place to buy?
im looking for one i can clean and use over and over not just a single use one
dont want to spend too much but i kno a nice one will probably be costly...id like something professional grade or close to it
any suggestions are welcomed with open ears, thanks and appreciate the help as always
:confused1::helpsmilie:

paulhew

Ok just my 2 cents as I am a self taught idiot and have made all the mistakes. I bought top of the line paint equipment but barely use it now. unless I have a custom colour to spray or a very large surface area. The main reason for not using it is because the amount of time required to load and unload / clean the gun etc. Especially when doing multiple coats. There are also so many variables when setting up your spray gun and you will probably have to do some troubleshooting on whatever you buy.
Rattlecans are nice as long as you don't get one that blobs out, or clogs. People keep saying its all in the prep work and its so true. I can get just as good a finish from a rattle can or a spray gun.
Just my 3 cents:wink:

When you start looking into a spray gun,look for one with a tip size of around 1.0 to1.3. Tip. You will get the best atomizing of the paint. Course metalic use larger tip size. A HVLP touch up gun works good for getting into the tight spots of the frame. You will have to practice to get the feel of it and how heavy to put it on.

When you start looking into a spray gun,look for one with a tip size of around 1.0 to1.3. Tip. You will get the best atomizing of the paint. Course metalic use larger tip size. A HVLP touch up gun works good for getting into the tight spots of the frame. You will have to practice to get the feel of it and how heavy to put it on.
:thumbsup: This is perfect advice IMO. I'm guessing my HVLP has a capacity of about a half pint. It's enough to do a heavy first coat on any frame.

The real big deal is having one small enough to get into the frame neck and other areas with limited space. Cleaning is a major pain in the ass, so smaller is always better in that regard.

When using these guns, you're only looking at 10-12 PSI at the tip, so almost any cheap compressor from Big Box stores works.

The quality vs cost of these guns has really improved over the years. You should be able to get a nice HVLP for about 40 dollars.

markus

I use these and have a couple different sized cups to use on my HVLP gun, good versatility between spraying larger jobs with the bigger cup or small cups for door jambs or tight frames etc.. Plus they dont have a vent hole leaking out all over ya when you turn it sideways or upside down trying to get in to a tight spot. the liners and caps are pretty tough, I actually reuse quite a bit before tossing them.

PPS? Paint Preparation System - Paint Spray Equipment & PPS? - Products

regarding using just any old compressor, thats kinda true, for years I actually used an 11 gallon comp, it worked but it pumped more water than air trying to keep up though becuase it was so small! so keep that in mind while your trying to wetsand out all those fisheyes :laugh: Even with my now larger compressor and a water trap in the line I use the disposable filters alot. Its very humid here though most of the time.

I use these and have a couple different sized cups to use on my HVLP gun, good versatility between spraying larger jobs with the bigger cup or small cups for door jambs or tight frames etc.. Plus they dont have a vent hole leaking out all over ya when you turn it sideways or upside down trying to get in to a tight spot. the liners and caps are pretty tough, I actually reuse quite a bit before tossing them.

PPS? Paint Preparation System - Paint Spray Equipment & PPS? - Products

regarding using just any old compressor, thats kinda true, for years I actually used an 11 gallon comp, it worked but it pumped more water than air trying to keep up though becuase it was so small! so keep that in mind while your trying to wetsand out all those fisheyes :laugh: Even with my now larger compressor and a water trap in the line I use the disposable filters alot. Its very humid here though most of the time.
That PPS system is very cool. I don't paint enough to warrant using it, and productivity isn't an issue for a retired guy. But I really like how the inner liner gets vacuumed, so you can get that gun upside down. WAY cool.

As far as compressors, I roll with an average 9% humidity. I do not use a water separator, and the tank doesn't build water. I also paint in temps that exceed 100 F, so my biggest problem is the thermal breaker popping off in the compressor. No fisheyes here, only runs. LMAO!

Captn,you could just buy an inexpensive compressor and a small harbor freight touch up gun to paint minibike frames and fenders,etc.Thats all I ever use and get great results.
I paint as much as I can with the smaller gun,it saves on materials and is easy to clean-up.I highly recommend it .

Last edited:
Harbor Freight has a 20 oz. HVLP gun that you can get with a coupon for like $9.99 or maybe less almost anytime. I have heard lots of good results with them and for the money you can't really go wrong, perfect size for a minibike and I think they may even have a smaller size HVLP gun used for like cutting in door jambs on cars and small touch ups.

Here is the 20 oz. gun, regular price is $13.99....
Gravity Feed Spray Gun - 20 Oz. HVLP

OR there is this 2 Piece Professional Automotive HVLP Spray Gun Kit that is a 20 oz. gun and a 4.2 oz. gun, case and cleaning tools for $47.99 but you could always use a 20% off coupon on that and get it a little bit cheaper.....
http://www.harborfreight.com/professional-automotive-hvlp-spray-gun-kit-94572.html