Artic Cat needs a pull start

WrenchDad

Hey guys I want to buy this Artic cat , the guy say's it runs but there is no pull start. I know the Sachs engines are kind of rare, Would I be able to find a pull start? I don't want to buy it then be stuck with a motor I cant start.
Thanks for the help.

You can find them, but you'll most likely pay at least $300 for one.

Or, you can try to find one of the Fairbanks-Morse recoils that turn counter-clockwise like a Saxonette recoil does, and adapt it with a different recoil cup.

Well, what do you know, here's one now at a good price. I wouldn't think about it too long: Vintage Farbanks Morse Recoil Starter Counter Clockwise | eBay
Yeah, them Saxonette starters are about as rare as hens teeth. If you feel like wasting a few days at a government auction, I have two of them that are sitting SOMEWHERE in the USPS dead letter office in Atlanta:glare:
That ebay starter is a little spendy, but like Mikebear said you can adapt them to fit. Plus they are reversible, they are made to spin either Cw or CCW, you just flip the spring around:thumbsup:

Jamie1972

Hey guys I want to buy this Artic cat , the guy say's it runs but there is no pull start. I know the Sachs engines are kind of rare, Would I be able to find a pull start? I don't want to buy it then be stuck with a motor I cant start.
Thanks for the help.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

i adapted one from an old chainsaw. i had to make my own adapter plate to bolt onto the engine and onto the shroud . and i made a plate that screws on the flywheel with some springloaded dogs on it . mine was missing the whole sidecover you know. but yeah whatever the case your not gonna get off easy

Last complete one I bought I paid $325 and it was a steal. Last 2 on ebay before that went for $375 and $400! Prices have jumped in the last year. That's ridiculous! I've thought about making them but no longer have access to casting equipment. By the time I had castings and the stampings made, it's cheaper to buy a used one. I've bought entire junk bikes just to get the recoil parts.

You CAN do without and still ride to your hearts content. I do that on one of my bikes. Take the magneto cover off and wrap a recoil rope around the recoil cup, wedging it into the joint with the magneto, then around a few times over itself. Wrap COUNTER CLOCKWISE! I use about a 3' rope with a std mower T-handle. Once started, I fold up the rope and tie it around the handlebar base and sit the handle in the pocket behind the headlight. You always have it with you while you ride. Easy peasy!

If you want to keep the sprocket cover on, I've seen people adapt a common aluminum V-pulley or make spacers to hold the cup further out. Just get a second cup, flip it over as a spacer, then use longer bolts.