Back Asswards Thoughts

I posted this in another thread and it got me thinking what other thoughts of reverse thinking people had.

This was in response to someone who had a 1" shaft and was looking for a cheap way out using what they had...

"I have a question. Has anyone tried putting a 1" ID sprocket on the engine? Running it to a 3/4" jackshaft with another sprocket on it? Then on the other side of the jackshaft to a clutch which goes to the rear wheel? Just a little backwards but it should work in theory"

Then I was wondering about a front tire scrub brake.
It would basically be by using the fender as the scrubber but beefed up underneath. The whole fender would pivot on the point between the forks.A rod would be attached to the fender behind the forks so when you pulled the rod which would be mounted like a brake lever is situated it would raise the rear of the fender to scrub the tire. Or a cable set up. Not really sure. Just kicking it around as maybe a backup for a clutch brake set up. Of course I think this would work best on non shock front forks. Randy

TomH

Yeah and also mounting the clutch on the same chain as the engine sprocket. Either way should work on a 1" straight shaft

TomH

Probably didn't make it clear enough. Put a sprocket on the 1" engine shaft. Run the chain back to the clutch mounted on a 3/4" jack shaft, then on the other side of the jack shaft have a sprocket and second chain going to the rear wheel sprocket.

Probably didn't make it clear enough. Put a sprocket on the 1" engine shaft. Run the chain back to the clutch mounted on a 3/4" jack shaft, then on the other side of the jack shaft have a sprocket and second chain going to the rear wheel sprocket.
But that would spin just the sprocket.The center which is attached to the jackshaft would just sit there. You need to spin the center to get the springs and weights to engage against the outer part which is attached to the sprocket you are talking about.

My way goes from sprocket mounted on the engine back to another sprocket. Which is secured to the jackshaft causing it to spin the same speed as the engine. Which then engages the clutch on the other side of the jackshaft with a chain running from the clutch back to the rear wheel. Yours has the clutch and sprocket on the jackshaft opposite of mine. Randy

oh, so this isn't another Bart Simpson thread...

A fender scrub brake'll at least keep your tire/fender clean. I think disc brakes would be less complicated though :laugh:

oh, so this isn't another Bart Simpson thread...

A fender scrub brake'll at least keep your tire/fender clean. I think disc brakes would be less complicated though :laugh:
If you need less complicated I can type slower....
Become a supporting member. It comes with a translation button...:thumbsup:

Lol maybe if it weren't for OldMiniBikes I would be a supporting member :laugh:
With the money you save from buying from OldMiniBikes you should have enough... lol

Or maybe after a certain amount spent a supporting member Icon should be given out... Just a thought....

zeeman

I built a three wheeled minibike back in the early 70's. It had no rear brakes. I just loosely screwed a 1x4 piece of wood through the two front fender mounting holes, then reached my foot up there and pressed on the end of the board when I wanted to slow down; which was not very often.

TomH

My way goes from sprocket mounted on the engine back to another sprocket. Which is secured to the jackshaft causing it to spin the same speed as the engine. Which then engages the clutch on the other side of the jackshaft with a chain running from the clutch back to the rear wheel. Yours has the clutch and sprocket on the jackshaft opposite of mine. Randy
Yeah, I see what you and Mac are saying now. Mine would still look cool though :laugh: just wouldn't work worth a dam.:pimp:

george3

Yeah, I see what you and Mac are saying now. Mine would still look cool though :laugh: just wouldn't work worth a dam.:pimp:
It would not work at all. you cant drive the engine to the bell, lol the bell would just spin.
Here is a better way 14 tooth on engine to 14 tooth on 5/8 jackshaft on the other side a 5/8 shaft clutch to the back wheel. Prob. solved, NEXT PROB?