Baja 165 - Clutch Shaft Bolt Thread?

Hi all,

I am getting close to having the Baja 165 running around! Got some help recently and got the bike running. I am going to be putting the clutch on, but I am not exactly sure what the bolt threads are for the engine shaft that supports the clutch assembly?

Some folks are saying 5/16 others metric. I thought it was metric but I am not sure. It appears to be the stock engine as it still has the stickers. 6.5hp Clone Honda.

Thanks all! Look forward to the replies.

Chris,

If it's the stock factory engine, with an externally threaded crank, it will most likely be a 12x1.25mm thread. I just installed a TAV on my sons bone stock 2011 MB200 212cc and it has a 12x1.25mm threaded crank shaft.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

If it's the stock factory engine, with an externally threaded crank, it will most likely be a 12x1.25mm thread. I just installed a TAV on my sons bone stock 2011 MB200 212cc and it has a 12x1.25mm threaded crank shaft.

Hope this helps,
Shawn
Thanks guys. I found an owners manual and it was talking about an M8x1.0 thread bolt. 25-30mm from what I can find. I ran a 1.0 tap in the hole and it seemed to work good at first. I then tried putting a 1.0 bolt in with no luck so I am going to have to try something else.

Shawnster, do you recall how the clutch was put on the shaft? I put the spacer on the shaft first, then slid the clutch assembly on and it extends past the shaft by 10mm or so. The manual says to add another spacer after the clutch but there is no shaft left etc. I am thinking I will just find a bolt that works and call it good. I dont get how else it goes together.

My son's Baja has an externally threaded crankshaft and the stock clutch had only one spacer behind it and it used a washer followed by a castle nut and cotter pin to hold the clutch in place. It sounds like your engine has an internally threaded crankshaft and so I'm not sure how many spacers are needed behind the clutch. However, the clutch should be flush with or maybe even just a hair over the end of the crankshaft and would use a washer and bolt to secure the clutch assy. Just make sure that the clutch bell spins free with no binding after the bolt is tightened down

Shawn!

My son's Baja has an externally threaded crankshaft and the stock clutch had only one spacer behind it and it used a washer followed by a castle nut and cotter pin to hold the clutch in place. It sounds like your engine has an internally threaded crankshaft and so I'm not sure how many spacers are needed behind the clutch. However, the clutch should be flush with or maybe even just a hair over the end of the crankshaft and would use a washer and bolt to secure the clutch assy. Just make sure that the clutch bell spins free with no binding after the bolt is tightened down

Shawn!
I put the one spacer behind the clutch, on the engine side. It stuck out a good ways past the end of the shaft but the chain lined up perfectly. So I chased the threads with an m8x1.0 to clear the rust from the threads and put in an m8x1.0 by 25mm bolt. Working good now and just took the bike for a ride yesterday!