baja troubles!!!

Sorry guys I am 100% new to this anyways I got 2 bikes one baja with the front shocks and one minibike for $50 from this guy...

the baja has I guess what you call a jack shaft on it came stock like that...
My problem is when I swapped the motor out from the 6.5 to my really modified gx160 i expected to be scared seeing that it was my first time on one... well no the motor shakes bad but all the bolts are tight then I noticed the gear that is connected to the clutch chain and the actual drive chain is messed up the actual weld that holds the brace for you to bolt the pully to the frame is broken... my question is is that really needed or can I go straight from the clutch to the rear wheel or is there a way to fix this problem again really new so if I need to buy something just let me know what it is I would need thanks...

cxbra

You CAN go straight clutch to back wheel, thats what most minibikes come with stock. Your's has what is called a jack-shaft, it alters the gear ratio for more torque. You can go straight chain no problem though.

ok just making sure your talking about the baja the kind with the front shock looks like a midget motorcycle??? I can go straight clutch to rear sprocket???

joekd

I would HIGHLY recommend you dont go straight from the clutch to the sprocket, I tried this on my baja heat 6.5 and lost all low end pickup, top speed was good but the clutch was VERY overworked and the motor felt like it was constantly being held back

Welcome to the site! You'll want to repair or replace the jackshaft kit to get the most from your Baja. The only other altenative is a bigger rear sprocket!:thumbsup:

Pictures.

Might be cheaper to simply fix it

I had a GX160 and it vibrated like the buisness end of an atomic jack hammer on the 165.
Wife liked it, thats a bad sign....

You have options here like the promod jack shaft, a BMI yerf Dog jack shaft, or even TAV2 clone.

Might be easier to simply get some plate and rebuilt the one you have.

Buy a rim and brake drum for the front.
If your stock its not an issue. If you added power and gearing the 165 has braking issues. In stock form the 165 is a handful on hills without the front brake.

Also tyres are too small
Use Dexron ATF in the forks ( 51 ml per fork ) to help stiffen things up.

Last edited:
old school knows /because of the wide tire on the baja you need the jack shaft for the chain alighnment....i like the promod jackshaft set up

where can I get one of those??? promod jackshafts also what are some good sites for qyuality parts (yes I use goole but I wanna know what you guys use since ya'll have been doing this for some time...

I have my stock jack shaft shimmed out a long with the sprocket.

The stock parts are weak and mine is not holding up well with the extra power.