Baja Warrior for Big Boys

jlloyd

After finding an incredible deal on a virtually brand new Baja Warrior, I once again am riding a minibike. My brothers and I had one when we were kids but that is long gone and now, I'm 39 years old. The Warrior is incredibly fun and reliable but I found it to be lacking in the "comfort department". I know, I know, they aren't built to be cross-country tourers but I just needed a little more room to make it easier for a guy my size to ride. I'm 6'2" and 225 pounds with long arms and legs. The first thing I did was adjust the handlebars forward, which helped but only a little. As soon as I was riding semi-comfortably, the footpegs gave out!! I solved that with a set of sportbike pegs I found at a shop for $10. Still, I wanted to be able to move more in the seat so, I dug around the garage and found a BSA seat from a '71 Lightning that I got in a trade years ago. The way the Warrior looks now may not be for everyone but it fits me to a T and honestly, I think it looks pretty good. As far as performance goes, I installed a homemade header and attached a DG universal muffler. It gave it enough low-end torque to pull the front wheel so...I'm happy with that too!!!

Now that your hooked, You have a garage full of them soon like the rest of us. They are fun toys to own. I had a lot of bigger bikes and ATV's, but the mini's I the most fun with modifiy them and riding.

joekd

I tired adjusting the bars but was never happy with them so I ended up replacing them with a set of dirtbike bars.

I'm 40.
I ride a MB165 bought in pieces ( near new at the Baja dealer ).
I ride hard enough to bend things and go places where only 4 wheelers tread.
At first I was a laughing stock for following ATV in the woods and running out of top end. Its now become a crusade to find the limits of this bike and myself although it started out as just a cheap way to keep up with my boy. Starting to get air under the frame now over hills and dunes need bigger more agressive rubber and braking issues ( lack there of )

Bruses, bumps, broken foot pegs ( now make them out of 3/4 bolts ) twisted fenders and skinned knees......

Why do I out myself through this?
Because my older brother and his Honda 4 tracks are an obtainable goal to leave in the dust lol.

I had a 69 650 thunderbolt. WISH i STILL HAD THAT BIKE LOL

jlloyd

I tired adjusting the bars but was never happy with them so I ended up replacing them with a set of dirtbike bars.
I can see where that would work very well. The sort of ape hanger-ish angle of the bars is what got in my way. A set of Renthals or some-such-other motoX bar like you mention, with a flat front/rear profile would look kinda cool too!! Just gotta be careful that they're not too wide, prolly.
I've been thinking about a 'real' gas tank in place of the fake one that I removed. Like a peanut..OR even an old Cushman-Mustang type; Take the built-in one off and mount the new one to the upper frame rail where a motorcycle gas tank is SUPPOSED to go.
Oh crap...I've started obsessing about my Toys again.
And I wonder why I'm alone!!??!!

jlloyd

OH YEAH, Dude!!! That's exactly what I'm talkin' about..those look perfect and are probably more suited to trail riding which is exactly what I do with mine. Actually, I have several sets of bars in the garage. At one time or another, I was looking at different riding positions on my Triumph so, I've got the originals (which aren't very different from the Warrior's), a "Euro-Spec" set (Euro just means they're low rise) that are on the bike currently, some that are nearly straight like a drag-bike AND I have a set of Clubman bars. The Clubmans would probably LOOK cool but probably wouldn't work very well in the woods. II think I might try going to a bike graveyard and looking for a set like yours. Maybe I can find a suitable gas tank to mount to the MB as well.
AND another thing: anybody else had problems with the torque converter chain guard? It's really flimsy and always ends up being crammed against the clutch, etc. My first car was a Baja VW Bug that had a chrome grille over the crank and generator. Something along those lines would work and look pretty good but I'd rather hear some other tips, tricks and solutions from other idiots like me.

jlloyd

is it my eyes or did you stretch the frame on the one far right?
I'm 100% sure it's not your eyes!! That looks like a modern mini-dirtbike front end that's been grafted on. Are those upside down or inverted shocks mounted up??...and looks like some extra gussets on the head tube have been beautifully welded. Me likey.

jrzmac

@ Oldschool, I had a fox thunderbolt myself. just like this one.

By jrzmac at 2010-07-03
. It was handed down to me from my uncle. here's a pic from the old days with us on the bike.

By jrzmac at 2010-07-03
I loved that bike too. wish I still had it. I would've paid anything to restore it.