Before painting a block

Do you guys blast the bare block or just the outer tin parts? Wasn't sure if the blasting would affect the block like potentially having some left over in nooks or crannies. This is my first complete tear down and repaint and I am trying to figure out how I want to approach this, the block that is, the tins will be easy. Thanks.

buckeye

Elbow grease. Gunk degreaser. Various brushes. soap & water. Final wipedown with acetone is what worked for me.
As EE, he's da man.

Personally I clean,degrease than sand blast w/silica than glass bead or crushed glass (40/70). As long as it is totally dry BEFORE blasting than you usually won't get any blast media hiding. Once blasted I clean by soaking in a 5gal. pail of soapy water and rinse and dry real good. Now it's time to do whaterver-bore, valves, porting etc. Once all that is done I usually hose off with brake cleaner, blow dry than wash with soapy water again. After assembly I hit with brake cleaner again, tape off whatever needs taped and shoot with Dupont etching primer. Than paint. Whatever you do just remember CLEAN-CLEAN-CLEAN than CLEAN IT SOME MORE. Just my way-

125ccCrazy

I degrease the blocks inside and out then bolt the head on, side cover, valve cover (breather) ect, plug the intake and exhaust ports with rags, tape off the crank holes... basically plug off any hole that goes into the engine and then blast it, dry it off with the air hose, wash, dry again and then start the honing, valve grinding ect followed again by a good washing with Dawn dish soap until it's clean when you wipe it down with a white cloth..