Bending a set of handle bars.

Hi gang,

I recently picked up a used Azusa minibike and am not happy with the handle bars. They are the type that are straight and they hit my knees when i ride. Has anyone ever bent their handlebars outward? If so, how did you do it? I have seen Azusa handlebars that were already bent outward before, not sure if that was purchased that way, or if people heat and bend them?

Thanks in advance,
Pat

I think the newer Asuza's come bent forward. You can heat and bend the bars right above the triple trees with an oxy-acetalene torch. It helps to have a second pair of hands on it so that one can work the torch and the other can bend and align the bars.

I think the newer Asuza's come bent forward. You can heat and bend the bars right above the triple trees with an oxy-acetalene torch. It helps to have a second pair of hands on it so that one can work the torch and the other can bend and align the bars.
So if I just heat them until they are cherry red, they should bend fairly easily then? I was thinking that I might use some sort of clamp to hold the left and right bars parallel to each other and bend at the same time.

At worst case, I can purchase a new set for 30 bucks if the new ones are already bent forward.

Thanks for the reply.

So if I just heat them until they are cherry red, they should bend fairly easily then? I was thinking that I might use some sort of clamp to hold the left and right bars parallel to each other and bend at the same time.

At worst case, I can purchase a new set for 30 bucks if the new ones are already bent forward.

Thanks for the reply.
Yup, once they're good and red, they bend no problem. Check with OldMiniBikes Warehouse to double check me on whether it was the new or old style forks that are pre-bent before you start heating..... I'm strictly going from memory. :facepalm: :laugh:

Hi,

The new ones are bent.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks!

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 3:29 PM, wrote:
Could you please tell me if the handle bars ordered for an Azusa minibike are bent forward or straight? SKU: AZ3546 from your web site shows that the handle bars are "straight" but I think the new ones are bent. Please see the photo attached for description.

Thank you,
Pat

For the record, this is the reply from OldMiniBikes warehouse.