Best way to connect a throttle cable to a stock 5hp Briggs & Stratton

Yeah, I'm really confused as to how the governor can work if the cable is directly attached to the butterfly??

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]

Yeah guys, I did that on my Flexo, which came from the factory with the Governor bypassed, and engine still warranteed by Flexo. So I have no problem bypassing the governor, or discussing it here. :)

A throttle swivel sits on the carb plate. It has a circlip underneath it, holding it in place. A cable is clamped in it, and that spring installed for positive throttle feel and return.

The governor remains attached, since no one wants to try and reconfigure it later, and the governor linkage provides a bit of return spring- un needed, but it's there. Super simple setup, but requires drilling an existing hole a bit larger. The throttle feel is as good as it is on a Mikuni setup, or better.

Google "GEM 1358 throttle swivel"

EDIT: On the engine used, the original lower throttle cable arm remains. I'd use the GEM 1358 again, and install it on the lower throttle arm, and clamp a cable in and have governor.

Last edited:
Yeah guys, I did that on my Flexo, which came from the factory with the Governor bypassed, and engine still warranteed by Flexo. So I have no problem bypassing the governor, or discussing it here. :)

A throttle swivel sits on the carb plate. It has a circlip underneath it, holding it in place. A cable is clamped in it, and that spring installed for positive throttle feel and return.

The governor remains attached, since no one wants to try and reconfigure it later, and the governor linkage provides a bit of return spring- un needed, but it's there. Super simple setup, but requires drilling an existing hole a bit larger. The throttle feel is as good as it is on a Mikuni setup, or better.

Google "GEM 1358 throttle swivel"

EDIT: On the engine used, the original lower throttle cable arm remains. I'd use the GEM 1358 again, and install it on the lower throttle arm, and clamp a cable in and have governor.
Good info Dave. I had to study that pic for awhile. I guess my concern leaving the governor rod attached and pulling the butterfly would be a possible jamming or sticking issue? Probably not. I just worry alot...:eek:ut::laugh:

Good info Dave. I had to study that pic for awhile. I guess my concern leaving the governor rod attached and pulling the butterfly would be a possible jamming or sticking issue? Probably not. I just worry alot...:eek:ut::laugh:
IMO, that is a valid concern. So I messed with it, fast throttle, and rode it quite a bit. No problems. The gov linkage just sorta follows everything along, and doesn't seem to be over stressed, or binding springs.

'Course next post might be me in an arm cast, bitching about a stuck throttle....lol.

The Tote Gotes with the Briggs used the original governor throttle cable mount, but the spring on the Flo Jet (talking larger motors, but same principle) was replaced with a solid piece of wire. Wire ran from bottom mount behind carb, to the top where it moved the butterfly lever. The gov was bypassed factory on those too.

This method allows the governor to stay connected, but it is bypassed- as it was from the factory. To restore this engine to governor use simply requires removing the throttle cable from above, and attaching it the bottom support location. Had to drill the hole in the throttle plate larger, use a GEM KT 100 throttle swivel, and a spring from ACE hardware. Works very well.

Beautiful setup. You mentioned having to enlarge the existing hole in the throttle. What diameter did you have to drill in order to accept the KT100 carb swivel?

Doug

Beautiful setup. You mentioned having to enlarge the existing hole in the throttle. What diameter did you have to drill in order to accept the KT100 carb swivel?

Doug
Doug this was a long time ago now, and since then I have found other swivels that can be used in other karting applications. I recommend getting the swivel first, then using the actual swivel as a guide. There is a marked difference beween the diameters between available swivels. Note I also cited the GEM 1358, and you could also try the Walbro 52-501.

Dave,

I sure appreciate your response. Most of the swivels I have checked are .250 for the insert portion of the swivel. The carb throttle for the Briggs 5 hp flathead does not have enough metal area for a 1/4" hole. Thus, the swivel you used must have had a convenient insertion diameter; no bigger than .125 and likely less. after measuring several times. So, I am still trying to identify a swivel with less than a .125 insertion diameter.