Bonanza brakes repair

6doggie3

I need to setup brake's for two builds one with kidney bean and one with Go power! I got some parts from OldMiniBikes I just wondering what I need to do to modify to fit on the sprocket's

6doggie3

Looks like the PO welded the actuator tang? to a treaded bolt? or it is seized I can get it out! Not trying to bash but why would omd sell manufacture replacement parts that don't fit right or work? Everyone say's to support them !!!

george3

It has nothing to do with the warehouse. Its what is avab. for replacement. Azusa has to be modded to work half way decent. Its like universal parts, work on many but not good on any, unless modded. I have used azusa brakes but had to modify them to work proper.

I think George is being kind to Azusa Engineering...:laugh:
It has been my experience that most drum brakes (in general), and "Azusa" drum brakes (in particular) EVEN AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN MODDED do not do a very good braking job, and are marginal AT BEST. My recommendation? Install a good clutch band brake. When you get them dialed in/aligned properly they will stop on a dime and easily lock up the rear tire on pavement. Then use the Azusa brake only for "light" braking or as an "emergency" brake in the event you lose a chain rendering the clutch brake useless. It cracks me up when I see some of these OldMiniBikes member's bikes with (highly) modified engines (read: FAST), yet they still have a crap braking system!:eek:ut: They spend some MAJOR $$$ on engine upgrades yet nothing on improving the brakes for safety.:shrug:
Michael

Last edited:
It has been my experience that most drum brakes (in general), and "Azusa" drum brakes (in particular) EVEN AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN MODDED do not do a very good braking job, and are marginal AT BEST.
I have bikes with scrub brake, disc (sprocket) brake, and drum brakes. Without a doubt, the drum brake bikes stop the best. Granted, I'm not slowing down from 80, nor am I running up to stop lights.

Never used a clutch brake, since I keep my bikes original. I would try one instead of trying to machine an aftermarket drum brake system. But I have had great luck with my drum brakes.

I suppose I could take one of my scrub brake bikes and try a clutch brake. Then that expensive, rare, chain guard wouldn't fit, and I could save $$$. :laugh: