Bonanza frame with hand stenciled number

Midyrman

I was stripping the ORIGINAL paint from my BC 1500SH and came across this number that looks like it was hand carved into the frame. Has anyone else come across something like this? Wondering if a factory worker had some time on his hands or if the numbers have any meaning. The carving was definitely under original paint.

Last edited:
That looks to me like some sort of Minnesota VIN#. I had similar numbers carved into an AMF Roadmaster moped that was licensed in MN as well as a sticker on a Fox campus that was also licensed in MN. The sticker on the Fox campus had a similar font. My guess is the state assigned it a VIN when licensed although it doesn't explain being under the original paint.

That looks to me like some sort of Minnesota VIN#. I had similar numbers carved into an AMF Roadmaster moped that was licensed in MN as well as a sticker on a Fox campus that was also licensed in MN. The sticker on the Fox campus had a similar font. My guess is the state assigned it a VIN when licensed although it doesn't explain being under the original paint.
Yep. You're right. It's a Minnesota vin number. That's where the bike came from. It was probably titled. If you zoom in on the picture you can see the vin number etched into the bike. Not a factory thing. This was one of the nicest bonanza survivors.

Last edited:

Midyrman

The bike is from the Minnesota area so the DMV number makes sense. I searched my pictures before stripping the paint and have I will post tomorrow that shows the area of the number. The number is visible and it looks like there was some paint or ? over the numbers. I hadn't noticed this until I was removing the paint thereby making the number much more visible.

So it would seem that this bike was registered with the DMV for road use and carving a VIN into the frame linked the bike to the DMV paper--- a title? Would be interesting to trace the VIN back to the owner at the time.

So, I have been collecting Bonanza for 6 years now and have 4 survivor bonanza BC1500's that are amazing survivors like this one WAS. They are very hard to come by and collectors go out of their way to find them. It is also the best way to prove the bike is a real Hodaka powered bonanza. This forum even has a special section for SURVIVORS mini bikes “they are that special". They have survived all of the kids and adult from painting them and cutting them up for over 45 years or more. I understand that everyone can do whatever they want to their bikes and restore what they want “Each to their own". As a hobbyist we need to preserve these survivor min bikes, not restore them. This one will be missed.

I agree Bill. I just can't believe it's gone. It made it 47 years. I about fell outa my chair when I seen it. It will never be original again. It's your bike tom but it still hurt to see it.

Last edited:

Midyrman

In response to the guys against my "restoring" this bike I've been a classic car collector since the 1980s. I've judged NCRS, authored a half dozen feature articles for Corvette Magazines and most significantly have owned several "survival" classic Corvettes. My best car is the 4 Star NCRS Bow Tie Award winning 1967 Corvette Tri-Powered convertible.... The car represents the best of the survivor class. I've owned this car since 1986. I've taken the car to many shows. I've heard it all from bystanders observing the lacquer paint fade and cracking .... "Why don't you paint the car?" I've resisted painting the car... and any other restoration.... even BEFORE anyone started using the word "survivor". Thirty years later the car sits today with factory original paint. To quote Will Farrell the car is "glorious". So I do agree in principle with the comments in this thread. BUT......

......in my opinion this bike while being a survivor in the sense it was still relatively original....it was not what I would call a true untouched survivor. Maybe that's my definition of a survivor based on where I am coming from.

And once again the guys are right on the mark....it is my bike.

Last edited:
Tom,
I would get the color matched so it is the correct blue since it's such a nice bike. I have a very close color match I can give you. Don't go buy some of the threads that say it's 1966 Nassau or marina blue because they are not correct. Even after getting it color matched it needs to be tweaked by a professional by doing a spray out and comparing the 2 side by side.

Last edited:
So, I have been collecting Bonanza for 6 years now and have 4 survivor bonanza BC1500's that are amazing survivors like this one WAS. They are very hard to come by and collectors go out of their way to find them. It is also the best way to prove the bike is a real Hodaka powered bonanza. This forum even has a special section for SURVIVORS mini bikes “they are that special". They have survived all of the kids and adult from painting them and cutting them up for over 45 years or more. I understand that everyone can do whatever they want to their bikes and restore what they want “Each to their own". As a hobbyist we need to preserve these survivor min bikes, not restore them. This one will be missed.
I agree with Sly ... its only original once ...

I've also seen a video of a guy smashing a new iPhone on release day in front of people in line to get one ... if you own it, you can do what you want.

First time I rode a BC1500 was 1969. I was 13 and it was a buddy of mine who owned it and Everyone on the block rode it and thrashed it. It was Fast! I got one now and I'm restoring it. When it's done I'm gonna ride it. I'm really surprised so many vintage mini bikes still exist. Ask anyone who had one then and I guarantee they have a Good Crash story. Enjoy Your mini bike.