Boys' Life Magazine

I had minor surgery earlier in the week. Google images or vids for "trabeculectomy" if you want to see something creepy. Nothing gets your attention like being poked in the eyeball w/a sharp knife. The partial sedation was fun- it always is -and the surgery went fine. But the doc said I've got to sit still for a few days to let things heal, even though I feel OK and my vision is fine-ish. That has led to long hours watching Netflix, OldMiniBikes, Facebook and more. Oh, and my sister sent one of those Edible Arrangements fruit basket things that my wife an I have been devouring. I think I might vomit.

This afternoon I got to looking at old Boys' Life magazines online and was reminded of a few of things. For starters, I was a crappy Boy Scout. I never made it past Second Class after about three years of trying. But I loved Boys' Life magazine that came every month. It totally fired my appetite for minibikes, model cars, photography, travel and lots of other things. I was 12-1/2 years old when I received the May, 1969 issue linked below. I read those magazines until they ere dog-earred, and I remember having this specific issue in my lap many times. It has ads for Rupp, Fox, Lil Indian and Ruttman minis, and I think some others, too, besides ads for Mercury clutches and a bunch of neat models and bicycles and actual, real firearms.

I had a Lil' Indian mini then, and if I wasn't riding w/my pals on their minis or working on it I was probably building a model car or tearing around on my bike.

Although I didn't give a rat's a$$ for the scouting rituals, etc., quite a bit of it did soak in. I love the outdoors, camping and travel in general. I play often outside of my own neighborhood and I like to to join with others in helping to make things happen. When I am outdoors I try to leave things nicer than I found them. But my outdoor adventures also tend to have a motorized aspect that was not specifically promoted in scouting, whether it's dirt bikes in the woods, renting a Jeep in Moab, or the innumerable weekends I've spent at the races.

That magazine had a lot to do with it. How 'bout you?

https://books.google.com/books?id=e...6wEwAA#v=onepage&q=boys life may 1969&f=false

wow........love your story tom.......I can relate, except I never could be a boy scout........wasn't a girl scout either, but I had an uncle who was two years older than me, and I loved to tag along with him........he was the coolest uncle ever........built me a wooden downhill racer.....went hunting for agates, and dreamed big in his treehouse...........my dad just didn't want to have me on anything motorized.......so here I am, in the sunset of my life, (which I hope is a long enough one) collecting and building something motorized.......and I like that OldMiniBikes has brought others like me together...........

Wow...that was like taking a trip back in time, thanks for sharing ! :thumbsup: I hope you get to felling better ...and get back on a mini !

buckeye

I'd still read it.
I too, attempted to be a Boy Scout.
Didn't last long but, the magazine came and I also dreamed of mini bikes.
Only a dream since, like Tippy, parents eould have nothing to do with motorized two wheels.
Thanks for the walk down memory lane Tom.

Thanks for the link Tom. It really brought me back. I was doing the same thing you were at the same time, within a few miles of you. Same deal- never a super scout, but loved the outdoors, snow camping on Mt. Hood, or a week at Girabaldi camping and crabbing, a week in Packwood WA fishing...good times. Very old school scout master.

Although I didn't give a rat's a$$ for the scouting rituals, etc., quite a bit of it did soak in. I love the outdoors, camping and travel in general. I play often outside of my own neighborhood and I like to to join with others in helping to make things happen. When I am outdoors I try to leave things nicer than I found them. But my outdoor adventures also tend to have a motorized aspect that was not specifically promoted in scouting .......

That magazine had a lot to do with it. How 'bout you?
Tom...that hit the nail on right on the head .... :thumbsup:

Thanks !

I too was a boy scout when I was younger and remember dreaming about minibikes and all the other gadgets that were for sale in the back of the boys life mags. I came up with and executed most of the bad ideas I've had throughout my life while camping with the boy scouts. I certainly wouldn't say my actions and manners said boy scout when I was younger. However, there were many things that I didn't notice I was learning then that I credit for being a semi-decent adult now, after looking back on it.