Bremer ... I believe

Hey folks, I just bought this little bike from @Rlitcher the other day.

You typically only see modern late model mini bikes show up for sale around here, and most belong in the freakbikes section.

I couldn't believe this showed up for sale here. I only had to drive 9 miles each way to pick it up !

Shortest distance I think I've ever driven to buy a mini bike.

In looking at the different photos I've found on the Oldminibikes.com website, I believe mine to be a Bremer - however mine does not have the Bremer name cast in to it ( not that I've seen yet anyway.)

Mine appears to be the two stroke frame version.

I read where the 4 stroke frame used a 3hp Briggs and Stratton, but I can't tell from pictures, which 2 stroke motor came in these originally ?

@superflea @bremerman @markus and @sparkwizard do any of you know which 2 stroke engines were used on these ?

Here's a couple pf crude pics for now, but I will try to post some more this weekend.

20240111_123944.jpg 20240111_124014.jpg

If you zoom in on the second pic, with the frame folded up, you can see the motor mounting 4 hole pattern, for a two stroke engine.

Aside from my question about engine model needed, I also need to know the best way to clean up this aluminum frame ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
IMG_20240113_003937.jpg

Here's a closup of the engine mount.

And some conjectured backstory.

@Rlitcher told me he found this in a 'dive shed' with all sorts of scuba tanks and stuff in it.

I told Reed, that I bet someone had this on their boat, as these little folding mini bikes were used on boats and airplanes.

Then Reed tells me the owner of the dive shed was an aviation buff too, and restored a Cesna airplane at some point.

It wouldn't surprise me to find out that he carried this Bremer on his airplane. That's my conjecture anyway...lol !

Last edited:

Triley41395

This is just my opinion but first thing I would NOT take it to any run of the mill sandblasting company. I think heavy sandblasting would hurt that bike badly.
Second I DON'T THINK I would cover the bolts in penatrating fluid until I knew weather it would soak into the cast aluminum or not. If it soaks into the aluminum it may cause painting issues.
Again these are my thoughts on what not to do until you know for sure.
By the way that will be one cool ass ride.

Hi.
Yea, I'm the Bremer guy. I had some parts made also.
Looks like it either had a Power Products or possibly a JLO type mill. Guessing yours to be an mid 50's.
Yours has yet another difference I have not seen before... The hook at the bottom of the saddle bracket.
Yours has the "Latest" style foot pedals I believe. The name and serial/model number should be found on the bottom. Please post these numbers as well as more photos. I love to document the discrepancies between the different models. Thank you.
Guess I should call dibs to adopt her should you ever decide to part with. ;):scooter:

Last edited:
Hi.
Yea, I'm the Bremer guy. I had some parts made also.
Looks like it either had a Power Products or possibly a JLO type mill. Guessing yours to be an mid 50's.
Yours has yet another difference I have not seen before... The hook at the bottom of the saddle bracket.
Yours has the "Latest" style foot pedals I believe. The name and serial/model number should be found on the bottom. Please post these numbers as well as more photos. I love to document the discrepancies between the different models. Thank you.
Guess I should call dibs to adopt her should you ever decide to part with. ;):scooter:
Thank you @bremerman. I'll get some more pictures posted.

As far as dibbs go, you'll have second right of refusal lol, as @sparkwizard mentioned to me the other day that he was interested in it.

I hope to keep it though and get it going. I think this is the oldest mini (roller) that I have.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Here's some pictures from the link posted above, that @markus referenced.

Ah 47 is what I can make out. I'm going to look that up.

Screenshot_20240113_133609_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240113_133635_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240113_133648_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240113_133719_Chrome.jpg

That motor fits in there, as snug as a bug :)

Now to locate one.

I think the AH47 was about 6 HP. The 1000 was 2 HP . Does your engine have the four holes to mount it?
If you look at old saw motors, the carb about 45 degrees to the cylinder, not sticking out the bottom.

I am looking at one of the PP 1000 engines on Ebay. I like the smooth aluminum shroud. Is it cast or sheet metal?

Oh, your type is governed, saw motors weren't.

I don't know much about it. I got a deal on it and it was too cool looking to pass up. I had a handout for the Bremer and I think the 2 cycle version on the Bremer was 2 3/4 HP Westbend related. I'll try to look for the one sheet flyer. I believe it is cast but I need to go look at it.

@RobertC , how does that jackshaft attach to the tire? Does it rub against the tire and turn it? I don't see a chain or any sprockets, and the engines seem to be of the wrong rotation variety.
it friction drive, is it a rubber to rubber contact, or an aluminum cog? (Or wood?)

If you do a search for bremer on the site here there are a few more pics of the two cycle version. The jackshaft drives a to go through chain on the left side. You can see the slot for the chain to pass through but it is very inconspicuos.