Briggs 3hp idle issues

Had scooped up a 3 horse Briggs but it doesn't wanna seem to idle with out me holding the throttle...it stays idling by itself if I have the idle adjustment screw all the way in and if I screw it out at all it wants to die I'm clueless

Last edited:
The idle air screw? I believe I turned it out 2 and 1/2 turns from all the way in and also when I give it throttle there are sparks up by the carb there's a wire coming out from the pull start cover probably coming from the points I don't know about points either lol

buckeye

Wow!
1-1 1/2 out to start.
That wire is prolly your kill switch wire and is grounding out.
Get it away from metal.:thumbsup:

oldfatguy

the big screw on the side is the main metering jet adjustment. The initial adjustment is 1 1/2 turns out. the idle adjustment is on top of the carb as you turn it in it will open the throttle slightly to make the engine idle faster. You should tape up that wire so that it doesn't ground out or spark near the gas tank . That is for a kill switch. There is a jet behind the metering screw on the side of the carb that you should clean. Just take the metering screw out with the nut that it's in. Then you can remove the jet. use a piece of wire to clear out the hole in the center. The only other thing that causes problems is the pickup tube screen inside the gas tank. You get to that by taking the carb off of the gas tank. The briggs engines are easy to fix and work on and is a good one to learn on.

Everything went great removed that wire that was sparking and turned the idle air screw out 1 and 1/2 turns it runs mint here's the finished product:scooter:

Last edited:

oldfatguy

nice bike, I'm glad to hear that you got it sorted out. Looking at it makes me miss my bonanza chopper.

You should put that square metal cover back on the side of your engine. It's purpose is to direct cooling air from the flywheel to the fins around the valves. That will keep you from burning the exhaust valve. Ask me how I know this.

Lol how do you know? The motor never came with that cover I need to find a piece of thin sheet metal and craft my own never knew that about the valves...makes sense thanks man!

oldfatguy

yup, I burned a valve so bad that it had a big V burned into the valve where it cracked. I heard that the exhaust valve can turn cherry red when the engine is run hard. especially if there is no muffler on it. Briggs lawn mower engines burn up when the fins under the cover get clogged with grass. Try contacting the restore kid who is a member here. He should be able to hook you up with the parts that you need. Tell him that the fat guy sent you.:thumbsup: