Briggs 5hp to buy or not to buy...

I found an old 5hp Briggs on a chipper on Craig for $100..

The guy was overwhelmed with e-mails for it so he raised the price up to 160:thefinger:.
I talked him down to $130.. Its either Briggs or $99 clone from Harbor freight for my Gilson project. I'm going to buy it regardless just curious what the engines go for.

130 ok to pay for a Briggs 5hp..

sound like twice what it would go for around here. but it comes with a machine so that makes it about right. you can probly sell the chipper without the engine and get half your money back. make sure its a straight crank before you pull the trigger

I just picked up a 5hp B&S for $50 and a Western Flyer SS300 roller for $25 on Sunday. I would pass on it if he does not take his original $100 he advertised it for on CL.

I just picked up a 5hp B&S for $50 and a Western Flyer SS300 roller for $25 on Sunday. I would pass on it if he does not take his original $100 he advertised it for on CL.
I'm with this guy.. If he's jacking up his price he's a shyster.. :shifty: Like Jeep said.. 100 is probably too much for just a standard briggs bushing 5 horse.. But you're not buying a motor.. You're getting a machine.. 100 would be good for a shredder but 100 for the most basic of briggs 5 horses is a little steep.. Plus once the shredder has no motor it will be a LOT harder to resell.. Thats the problem with stuff like that... He is ALSO correct about checking the crank out.. Quite often stuff like that is a really short crank.. But a shredder or water pump or generator are almost always ball bearing output shafts.. AND usually long shafts so it can reach all the way through the guts of the machine.. Although generators are a tapered shaft that makes them nearly useless on anything else, and water pump motors USUALLY have a BAD amount of rust damage on the inside end of the crank from being spun in side bushings full of water... I have a couple that are so bad I am afraid the crank shaft would break right off if I put any serious torque to the ground with them. :sadcrying4:

Glad i asked!!!

I think I'll go with a clone for $99 with insurance..
and keep looking for a cheaper Briggs on an edger or something.

Thanks for the info

-Squirrel

You will want to buy an adapter plate to keep from having to re-slot the engine plate unless it has multi slots like my trailhorse, dont get me wrong it is your minibike and the guy jacking up the price is stupid! The reason for jacking it up is even more stupid! He should have been glad to be inandated with calls and wash his hands of the deal! A clone is new, the warranty is attractive as well but it may not be right for your particular minibike! Again that is up to you and an adapter plate will allow you to use the existing slots without hacking on a vintage minibike, I put one on the trailhorse with no mods and used an old DB 2.8 tank and things could not have worked out better! I am putting the 5hp B&S back on with a TAV soon but am enjoying the power the clone provides! Do what is right for you! But consider what I said about the adapter plate!

Its an old Gilson I am restoring.. I tried an engine with the same pattern as the clone and it fits perfect. No hacking.. so a clone would work great. I have a clone on my K&S Hardtail and could not be happier.

Have new Shocks, Tires, Jack shaft, chain all in the mail.. Just need to restore paint and fenders, and re-bend the forks back straight. fun!!!

Its an old Gilson I am restoring.. I tried an engine with the same pattern as the clone and it fits perfect. No hacking.. so a clone would work great. I have a clone on my K&S Hardtail and could not be happier.

Have new Shocks, Tires, Jack shaft, chain all in the mail.. Just need to restore paint and fenders, and re-bend the forks back straight. fun!!!
It's not the bolt pattern that will give you alingment issues but the end of the pto shaft in relation to the slots, clones have standard bolt patterns but with a jackshaft you can align the thing as needed. If it did not have a jackshaft or alternate slots it would be an issue! Sounds like you can do either one! If you have access to a press you can straighten the forks pretty easy, just use wooden blocks and boards so as not to mar the things too badly, I have straightened many sets!