Briggs and Stratton 2hp No Spark

Minibikers

Found out that clutch housing is LEFT HAND threads.

Sort of like the old cars with left hand threads on one side to keep lug nuts tight.

Good thing I found that out before starting to get this off.

Thanks!
Briggs & Stratton starterer clutches are NOT left handed thread if they are then I been removing them wrong for 45 yrs

Yup, I use a very well rounded tip chisel. WELL rounded, I use the same tool to break beads on tires.
Do your self a favor and use a block of wood not a chisel and when removing the starter clutch install the 4 screws this will make the tabs u are hitting a little stronger less chance to snap one off

Briggs & Stratton starterer clutches are NOT left handed thread if they are then I been removing them wrong for 45 yrs
Yes, that was incorrect information. The OP never replied back where he got that information or if he ever even got the starter clutch removed!
Michael

CarPlayLB

Got the clutch housing/flywheel nut off!

it came right off with a couple of taps.

Thanks for all the good info!

Will be patient and wait to get Harbor freight pulley puller to get flywheel off.

3 Piece Three-Jaw Puller Set

Keep everybody posted!
NOOOO!
Flywheel puller is bad! All it takes is a screwdriver prying gently on the case against the flywheel, and a light tap with a brass hammer...they usually pop right off! You don't want to hammer on the end of that shaft as the recoil needs to spin on it!

NOOOO!
Flywheel puller is bad! All it takes is a screwdriver prying gently on the case against the flywheel, and a light tap with a brass hammer...they usually pop right off! You don't want to hammer on the end of that shaft as the recoil needs to spin on it!
CPLB is 100% correct. My son and I have NEVER used a puller on a flywheel with over 30 engines in the last 8 years. To the original poster (Racer)- did you not learn anything from all of the previous replies?
Michael

I bought a wrench set and crankshaft tapper. Flywheel removal has never been easier.

Tha crankshaft tapper thing is neat. Just slide onto the exposed end of the crank after the recoil sprag/clutch is off, pop it on the pointy end w/a hammer and the flywheel slides right off. It has a brass plug inside to protect the tip of the crank from being damaged. You don't have to hit it hard at all.

Briggs and Stratton Engine Tool Set Flywheel Holder and Starter Clutch Wrench | eBay

Flywheel Knocker/Puller For Briggs & Stratton-Flywheel Removal Tool | eBay

Last edited:
Thanks for all the ideas!

Gear puller worked great.

All it took was tightening it by hand with a wrench and it popped off.

The even pull helped get it off.

Of course ours was in good shape.

Southern California we don't get stuff rusted on.

A two jaw puller would probably work.

Get one with thin claws and good steel to get between back of flywheel and crankcase shroud lip.

It's really a small flywheel. For our Kohler 10 hp it was a chore getting that off.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Harquebus

Southern California we don't get stuff rusted on.
Then why did you need a fancy gear puller?

Skip to 3:30...he uses a brass hammer so as not to mangle the crankshaft end.

[video=youtube;NCZIMtuQ6dU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCZIMtuQ6dU[/video]

Very painful to look at that nice little 2 horse on that edger!

Our two met a horrible fate.That won't happen again!

There was an edger like that at a thrift store here for $30.

If I knew then what would happen I would have picked it up!